Con: President-Elect Trump

Con: President-Elect Trump
Photo by Photo by Megan Bell

Over half of my family voted for Donald Trump in this election. Because I’m not 18 yet, I couldn’t vote, but even if I could, I would have never voted for him. The thought of me not swaying with the rest of the family would make them lose their minds.

Ever since I was young, I can remember my family always being Republican—always the conservative type. Some of my family members even made it seem like you were a bad person if you voted for a Democrat. When Obama won the election in 2008, I hated him because all I heard were horrible things from my family. Being a clueless nine-year-old, I didn’t know any better, but as I entered high school and met other people with different views, my opinions started to shift from my families’.

I saw both sides of the spectrum.

I would have conservative family members and then liberal friends. I began to struggle with my beliefs.

I would go to family celebrations and hear political opinions I agreed with and some I didn’t. I’d try to voice my opinions, but I would get scolded, lectured or told I was too young to understand. I meant no disrespect to their beliefs — I just wanted to inform them of mine.

But my family didn’t appreciate my differing opinions.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I get that. My family was allowed to voice theirs. But so do I, regardless of my age or what my beliefs are, I have the right to voice them. I should not be lectured or scolded for what I believe.

I’ve even seen my family post articles on Facebook titled, “Why good Christians don’t vote for Hillary Clinton.” These people willingly voted for a racist, sexist, islamophobic, homophobic man. I wanted to comment, “is there an article saying why you shouldn’t support Donald Trump either.” I convinced myself not to because I would get in so much trouble with my parents, and I knew it would hurt my family’s feelings. I couldn’t help but think how could they not support Clinton but they can support Trump? Then, I remembered a very simple reason: he was a Republican.

Now that the election comes to a close, my family continues to post celebratory speeches about Trump’s victory, but I keep reminding myself to just keep scrolling. Now that Trump won the election, we wait. I still don’t like or agree with him, but I hope for the sake of the country and my family relationships he’ll prove me wrong.

I don’t believe political parties determine how good of a person you are. I do not identify myself with the Republican Party, but I do not identify myself with the Democratic Party. I’m in the middle —undecided I guess. The election I will be able to vote in won’t happen for another four years, but when that election comes, I will vote based on the candidate and not what party they stand for. I believe everyone should vote like that. It might upset my family, but I’m growing up.

I’m allowed to have my own opinions and beliefs. I am not subjected to just their opinions.

Katherine Powell
Katherine Powell, Entertainment Editor
Hi, I am the entertainment editor for The Rider Online. Follow me on twitter @kgpowell99