Now I’m a Believer

If you asked me if I thought the varsity football team would make the playoffs at the beginning of the year, I would respond, “Pshhh, yeah right.”  After last year I doubted that a team that had won two games would make the post season in just a year’s transition.  It wasn’t like Kennedy Jones would pull a Matt Ryan and completely turn our team around right? My assumptions seemed like they would be right after watching some of their games earlier in the season.

The offense looked disorganized. The team committed dumb penalties.  The no huddle offense looked as if it would replicate the Buffalo Bills’ ineffectiveness.  The final bit of persuasion I needed was the 63-0 loss to Everman.

However, as the varsity played more games, I began to see a huge difference.  The no huddle offense was actually becoming a no huddle offense.  The offense was getting on the ball fast, while in the past they stood around confused, taking too much time for the no huddle to be effective.

As time progressed, the offense looked crisp.  There weren’t any more dumb penalties, and miscommunications between players decreased substantially.  The defense had always played strong, with the exception of the Stephanville and Everman games.

Now is the time.  The Broncos are 3-2 in district play, and we could make the postseason if we win one of the final two games.  The two remaining games are against Crowley (2-3) and Timberview (3-2).  So now, I finally see.  I actually think we have the talent and coaching to win both of these games.  Coach Melson has really stepped it up and has the Broncos playing with motivation and purpose.  After every loss this year Legacy has come back the next week to win by 30 or more points.  Kennedy Jones has become a Matt Ryan, and his play and leadership has been a huge impact at the quarterback position and on the offense.  The defense has created big plays and turn overs all year led by a great, motivational middle linebacker in Gerald Richardson, who I like to compare to Ray Lewis in his passion for the game and his ability to fire up his team mates.

Let’s get this win.  Let us prove to anyone who thought that Legacy wasn’t going to pull through and make the post season.  I’m behind you guys 100 percent.