Photography Class Wins 4 Awards At Ft. Worth Exhibit

Legacy’s Art Photography class entered the twenty-third Annual Black and White Photography Exhibit, sponsored by Ft. Worth Country Day, for the first time on Sun, Jan. 23. Seniors Samantha Server, Jasmine McMasters, Holly Baselice, and Angela Crouch earned four awards out of the eleven possible photographic pieces selected from Legacy student entries into this year’s show.

Server won first place for Cityscapes and Landscapes for her picture of the trains at Metro Station in Washington D.C. she took on a family trip over the summer.

“It’s cool when you get pictures of trains going by because they look like they’re flying,” Server said. “I usually don’t win anything at competitions, and it didn’t sink in until I went up and got the award.”

McMasters recieved an Honorable Mention for the portrait category, the photo being a reference picture for her winning oil painting for the TCU contest.

“I was going through a study in art where I looked at the movement and patterns the lines on a picture follow,” McMasters said. “It’s more of a cosmetic, symmetrical portrait.”

Baselice earned first place fin Experimental Photography, with a digitally edited image of herself in a jar.

“I found out I won when Jasmine called me to her table and threw the winner pamphlet at me,” Baselice said. “It fell open to my name with ‘First Place’ next to it.”

Senior Angela Crouch entered two pictures into the competition, one of them winning third place for Still Life. Based off of a project for the AP Art test, Crouch took photos of Christmas season figurines set up in a town scene, portraying her memories of childhood.

“Those figures and that scene has been set up in my house every Christmas, and if anything reminds me of my childhood it’s that,” Crouch said. “My mom hinted that I won when she told me to look at the list of winners, so I wasn’t really surprised after that.”

Out of the 570 images submitted, a hundred were accepted into the show. Other students featured in the show were:Animals and Nature: Elizabeth Rodriguez (11)
Architecture: Elizabeth Rodriguez (11) and Jasmine McMasters (12)
Portrait: Jessilee Shipman (10), Angela Crouch (12), Kaylee Wilson (12), and Taylor Vaughan (11)