Author’s Club

Members sit scattered about, filling the room with the sounds of laughter and the latest chatter of all the things that school had done wrong to students that current week. Josh Hogue gleams at all in the room, and silence sweeps across the floor. He has their attention now.

“Alright, guys. Welcome back to Author’s Club. I’m Josh Hogue, the president. I see that we have some new faces, so let’s go ahead and introduce ourselves again,” Hogue said.

One by one, the members, old and new, stand up and state their names and an interesting fact that they would like the others to know. Some are anxious as they stand and are even slightly shaking as the words hang at the edges of their lips. Just as soon as one of the last members present purses her lips to speak, a barefooted and slightly hobo-like looking boy, smiling with oblivion, comes stomping into the room. This would be Jacob Newsom. Josh then tells Jacob to introduce himself to all of the new members.

He does so by saying “Hey, guys! I’m Jacob Newsom, and I’m sure most of ya’ll  know me. I’d like to apologize for that.”

Everyone in the room teems with laughter afterwards until the awkward silence slowly starts to cause the current playful vibes to cease. After a moment longer, some of the members in the room try to shrink away into their desks and others gaze anxiously at their blank papers that they have already set out in preparation for writing. The few who are the most introverted within the club begin to doodle or write their thoughts on the paper. It is silent for a brief moment before side conversations are heard in the corner of the room by a group of seniors.

“Oh my God! You are the worst! Are you writing another fan fic, Pedro Rocha said, as he gazed over one of the other senior’s shoulder. “No, not now! Later,” Lauren Higuera said.

Both look at each other, and smile afterwards. It’s evident that they have been friends for quite some time by their mannerisms toward each other. Josh tries to get everyone’s attention, but the noise from the sidebar conversations picks up its volume, and his voice is nearly muffled. With a loud “Guys,” everyone looks up, and he once again has gained their attention. He explains to everyone what their writing task will be for the day, which they would be be assigned by the paper they would receive by three miscellaneous members. The three different topics they would receive included a character with a weird background, an ironic action that would take place for that character and a random setting. Once everyone was done scribbling down the three different topics and ripped up strips with them on it, Josh collects them and passes each piece from every topic to everyone. Some grab their slips of paper, and as they glance at it, a smirk covers their face. Others smile at their sheets, giggle and point at whoever they thought wrote that piece for the topic. Everyone is becoming focused with each second that passes, but the door swings open, revealing a panting girl that looks just about done with everything for the day.

Josh smiles and says,” Welcome back. We’re glad you’re here.”
She is uneasy by the attention that she has brought upon herself, but dismisses herself from the gazes of the other members to the back right corner of the room. She then uneasily grabs the paper from Josh, and stares at it. Everyone else grasps their pencil with the intensity of a horse awaiting the gunshot. Josh gives everyone 15 minutes to write, and everyone begins to write furiously. The only sound present at this time is the slight grazing of the pencil on the paper. Five, 10, and 15 minutes fly by. Time is called, and one by one, members share the interesting concoction of a story that they have created. Ms. Lisbeth Bennett, too, joins in and tells a story of a boy finding himself trying to fulfill his destiny by coming into a shoe shop and buying shoes for the first time. Once she is finished, everyone claps with amusement and smiles in admiration of her writing capabilities. The laughter dies down and the clapping comes to a halt. The meeting is finally called to a closing by Josh, and members pile out of the door, smiling and reminiscing of all the fun that they had had that meeting at the Author’s Club.

Saella Ware
Saella Ware, Staff Writer
Hey, it's Saella. I'm kinda weird and quirky, so if you enjoy that type of stuff, you'll hopefully like me and my stories. I'm sort of a boba addict and quite the travel/food connoisseur. I know, big word. I'm proud of myself. Anyway, ciao!
Grant Baker
Grant Baker, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
I'm Grant Baker and I write for this website. I love serving God, watching football and listening to 2000s southern hip hop. Maybe not all of those at the same time. I don't know. Okay you know how hard it is to write one of these things? Pretty hard.