How To: Program the Quadratic Formula into a Calculator

The quadratic formula torments students in physics and Algebra II. The lengthy, often used formula helps solve quadratic equations, find roots or solve for air time during the motion of a projectile.

However, knowledgeable students can program this burdensome equation into graphing calculators, saving both time and sanity later on.

Follow these steps to program the quadratic equation into your TI-84 or TI-83 calculator:

1) Create a new program: Press PRGM [program], ➤ over to NEW, ENTER
To edit the program at any time, simply ➤ over to EDIT and press ENTER.

2) Name the program: Make it something like QUAD or QUADFORM for the Quadratic Formula by pressing the keys corresponding to the green letters above (for instance the key 9 is also the letter Q) and then press ENTER.

3) Prompt for variables: Go to PRGM [program], ➤ over to I/O [input/output], press 2 for
PROMPT, press the green ALPHA key to enter letters and enter the letter A. Press ENTER. Repeat this step for another prompt with the letter B and again for the letter C.

4) Enter the formula(s): Enter the formula shown in the screenshot above. The two formulas account for the ± before the square root in the quadratic formula.
To insert a negative sign, press the (-) key instead of the minus key.
To insert the square root sign [ √( ], press the 2ND key and the X2 key.
To insert the arrow [→], press STO➤ [store this value as…]
Press ENTER to switch to the next line, such as after the D.

5) Display the output: Go to PRGM, ➤ over to I/O [Input/output], press 3 for DISP [display], then press D (using the ALPHA key), the comma button [ , ] and E.

6) Exit the program: Quit the program by using the 2ND key and the MODE key.

7) Run the Program: Press PRGM, ENTER, ENTER and then enter the numerical values for A, B and C according to the formula, pressing ENTER after each entry. The display now shows the two roots of the equation.

Laura Baker
Laura Baker, Staff Writer
My dear fellow homo sapiens, I’m more familiar with textbooks and periodic tables than newspapers, so you’ll have to cut me a little slack if my writing seems a little different. This is my first year on the newspaper staff even though I’m a senior—a result of College Board’s advice to become a “well rounded individual” and my wandering quest to gain as many eclectic (fancy word!) skills as I can during high school. I enjoy reading, listening to a surprising variety of music and having epiphanies and random arguments about words. My friends may warn you to never say the word “sluggish” within my hearing, since it shows an obviously biased and unfair preference in the English language for slugs. No one ever says the word “slothish” or “turtleish”, as in “I’m worried about Laura; her actions are very snailish today.” Sincerely looking forward to an interesting, slug-free year and wishing you a very merry unbirthday, Laura Baker [email protected]
$3000
$5000