Things You Should Know About the Seasons

Facts about the four seasons
Facts about the four seasons

In the great state of Texas, the weather tends to change quite suddenly. Although it may seem like our seasons can happen all at once, each of the four seasons have specific qualities that you probably didn’t know about.

Fall
The air starts to get frigid, the leaves fall and start changing to orange, yellow, and red. Fall includes the months of September, October, and November. The Autumnal Equinox starts on September 22nd. The days get shorter and the nights get longer. Toward the end of fall, the trees become barren with no leaves. We also start losing daylight by two minutes everyday.

Winter
Grab a cup of hot chocolate and sit on down for some movies. Texas winters blow cold, freezing winds, accompanied by the occasional snow or sleet. Winter includes the months of December, January and February. Winter starts on the winter solstice and ends on the Vernal Equinox. The shortest day of this season rests on December 21st. During this time, the Earth faces away from the sun and causes the temperature to go down.

Spring
Flowers bloom and the temperature is finally warm again. Spring includes the months of March, April and May. The first day of Spring occurs on the Vernal Equinox. For 2015 it will start on Friday, March the 20th. Like Fall, Spring has equal nights and days with 12 hours each. Spring brings April showers and windy days. When people hear “Spring Fever”, they think of it as just a saying, however experts say that the body’s makeup changes due to the different rate of hormone production, diets and temperature change.

Summer
June 20th marks the summer solstice date for 2015. Summer includes the months of June, July, August, and most of September before Fall starts. The Summer Solstice starts off the season for warm temperatures and bright days. The last day of summer is September 20th, right before the first day of autumn springs up. For everyone’s enjoyment, the days are longer and brighter than in the winter. This happens because the sun closer to the face of the earth.