Gas Station Coffee: Buy or Bust

Heather Hines,12, drinks coffee outside of school from a local gas station. (Sterling Greback Photo)

A coffee run before school begins will always be a necessity for high school students, who use caffeine as a drug to pull them out of a sleepy stupor. Students frequent gas stations near Legacy in the morning craving a cheap cup-of-joe. Learn about the stations nearby in the story below.

Conoco

How far from Legacy?

5 minutes

Sizes and Prices

12oz $1.39 16oz $1.59 20oz $1.79

Complimentary items for coffee?

None

Rating- One Star

The Conoco serves only one type of coffee and has a small cappuccino machine. Only students who favor black coffee should stop here, as the gas station offered no creamer or sweeteners and there was not a stir stick to be found. After finding the coffee machine wedged in the back corner of the store, I found small cups and high prices. The coffee possessed an unpleasant rather bitter flavor. The employees were not very engaged but the gas station was pleasant enough.

Texacounnamed

How far from Legacy?

It’s right across the street.

Sizes and Prices

12oz $1.10 16oz $1.39 20oz $1.59

Complimentary items for coffee?

None

Rating-  Two Stars

The closest gas station to Legacy sadly did not offer the most variety or the best prices. I found the coffee pot stationed next to a small cappuccino machine, but no creamers or sugars were available to customers. The coffee did not taste as bitter as it smelled but, did not taste appetizing either. The gas station employees were reclusive but kept a moderately clean shop.

Valero

How far from Legacy?

4 minutes

Sizes and Prices

Small $1.09, Medium $1.39, Large $1.72

(Ounces were not listed)

Complimentary items for coffee?

Yes!

Rating- Three Stars

The Valero’s disorganization made it hard to locate the coffee, but once there, a larger selection of cappuccino and two different types of coffee became a welcome site. The light, house-roast did not have a bitter flavor at all though it wasn’t very strong. The gas station offered sugar packets, half and half, and three different liquid creamers for customers who are not fond of black coffee. The gas station was moderately clean and the service favorable.

Quick Trip

How far from Legacy?

4 minutes

Sizes and Prices

16oz $1.19, 20oz $1.39, 24oz $1.59

Complimentary items for coffee?

Yes!

Rating- Five Stars

Quick Trip serves four different types of coffee: Columbian supremo, original, decaf and vienna roast. The original coffee tastes very strong but pleasant. This gas station not only carries coffee, but they also offer different types of cappuccinos and hot chocolates with free whipped cream. Those high school students who do not enjoy drinking black coffee can find solace in the abundant amount of free sugars, sweeteners and powdered creamers Quick Trip offers. Kind employes keep the store impeccably clean and provide stir sticks and drink carriers for all.

View Comments (1)
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• M

Mike SFeb 18, 2015 at 12:35 pm

wow i was just browsing the internet and stumbled upon this page. I cant believe there’s gas stations that have the kahones to sell coffee without at least milk and sugar. I live on Long Island in ny and that just totally wouldnt fly here. i dont think I’ve ever had that problem. Sometimes they keep the complimentary stuff kind of stashed away but they always have atleast milk and sugar. I think a good start to getting these ppl to provide basic complimentaries would be bringing it up here and other places.