Fish Makes Big Splash Inside Legacy

Big+Fish+has+grown+in+popularity%2C+even+being+made+into+shirts+for+the+Human+Geography+Class++in+2013.+
Photo by Sterling Greback
Big Fish has grown in popularity, even being made into shirts for the Human Geography Class in 2013.

After completing AP Human Geography with Ms. Catherine McGuinness in the 2012-2013 school year, students were given the opportunity to buy a t-shirt celebrating their success. Designed by now junior, Reilly Parkins, the shirt design shows a key point of the year in AP Human Geography: Big Fish. But Big Fish means more to the students than just a joke and a t-shirt- it also serves as a key component in the YouTube channel “Inside Big Fish”.

“The title is a running joke,” junior David Kaurin said. “We named it that at the beginning and never bothered changing it. It stuck. It’s iconic.”

The joke was originally based off a stopmotion video called “Nora From the Outbacks Adventures.” Juniors Johnny Waugh, David Kaurin and Jake Harrison made the short film as a class project, discussing certain elements which would be included on the AP test. In the video, the character Big Fish made its YouTube debut.

“Big Fish was of the most prominent things in our first video,” Waugh said. “Everyone happened to like [the video].”

The group expanded as more videos were made for various projects and classes, the videos including whoever happened to be a part of the group project. As long as either Waugh, Kaurin or Harrison approves a video, even if they do not personally play a part in it, it will be uploaded under the channel.

“It definitely brings us a lot closer because it lets us all work together and be creative,” Harrison said.

When the channel first started, Kaurin edited all of the videos uploaded. Now, however, Waugh both edits and acts since they take separate classes and cannot always be partners.

“I’m pretty good with editing,” Waugh said. “It still takes me awhile to get used to it though, because it’s professional software. There are still a lot of features in it that I don’t know how to use.”

Even though they use the videos primarily for school, some have more than a thousand views and the channel itself has over 40 subscribers.

“Some of our subscribers are outside of our friend group, so we’re doing something right,” Waugh said.

The group writes their scripts for the videos after filming them since the group improvises all of the videos.

“It’s a fun thing to do with my friends,” Harrison said. “It’s what I look forward to doing in school.”

Michelle McDaniel
Michelle McDaniel, Personalities Editor and LBTV Staffer
Hello! This is my second year as an editor for The Rider, and I’m very happy to be here! I do some of the art for the journalism department, too. A bit about me: I have way too many hobbies and not enough time. I like to write, edit this newspaper, collect quotes, play video games, draw, take pictures, travel, and a lot of other things. I spend most of my free time either helping out at my church, finishing my AP art projects in Mr. Mason’s room or completing and editing stories in the journalism room. I have “slight” obsessions with The Beatles and Harry Potter. Hopefully this time next year, I’ll be writing for UNT’s newspaper!   “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” -Martha Washington Did I mention that I love collecting quotes?
Sterling Greback
Sterling Greback, Photographer
Hey guys, I'm Sterling Greback. I have been on staff as a photographer for 2 years now, and I love it! Being a part of the Yearbook has been really important to me. I'm a junior this year, and I really love to go fishing. One of my friends has a boat and we go out on the lake all of the time. I also like BMX during my free time and playing video games (Can't wait for the new PS4). I have a pet cat, snake and turtle. I really hope this year will be fun! [email protected]