Theater Gives Sneak Peek of “Diary of Anne Frank”

Before performing for the UIL competition, theater gave a sneak peek during their last practice.
Photo by Sterling Greback

In preparation for their One Act Play UIL competition, the theater department hosted a free showing of the play “Diary of Anne Frank” on March 20, as a final rehearsal before the competition on March 23.

The play began with the Frank family arriving at the secret annex, garbed in costumes encompassing the 1940s fashion along with the Nazi’s influence. Actors stripped away coats adorned with the yellow Star of David, revealing calf length dresses with heels for the girls and thick brown trousers for the men.

Actors not only looked their part, but behaved as if they belonged in that time period. They portrayed their character’s mannerisms and personalities incredibly well, moving through the entirety of the play with no breaks in character or stumbles in the script.

The complexity of the set design showed how much work went into making this play seem real and audience members were captivated by it.

Overall the play presented a believable and moving version of Anne Frank’s diary, reminding audience members of horrors of the second world war and the trepidation of the Frank’s situation.