Review: Songs That Will Make Your Life More Awesome

Emmi sings the track Sleep On It, which has a perfect beat for dancing or working out.
Emmi sings the track “Sleep On It”, which has a perfect beat for dancing or working out.

Taylor Swift, the most worshipped pop star of the century, dropped a list of “Songs That Will Make Your Life More Awesome.” So here lies my take on T-Swizzle’s playlist.

No Words” by Erik Hassle
 When I listened to this song the first time, I couldn’t really place my opinion of it, but now I think that it might be one of those that gets better with every listen. The lyrics come from an unexpected direction, especially at the beginning, very non-traditional and eclectic, but not quite alternative sounding. I am unable to decide on the genre, but overall not a bad tune. Erik has a very unique and almost addicting voice, that I feel he showcases better in his other songs, like “Talk About It.” I would give that a listen for sure.

Mine” by Phoebe Ryan
I’m not even sure how to begin the review of this one, it already sounds pretty fantastic. The opening verse and the bridge sound fantastic, but the chorus lacks the same lustre that you get right in the beginning. Her voice sounds like the exact opposite of what I had imagined from looking at her, although still wonderful. The beginning of the song sets it up to be a chart-topper, but it drops off at the first chorus.

Poetic” by Seinabo Sey
The amount of soul in this song, I can’t handle it, it’s amazing. Right from the beginning I am incredibly jealous of her voice. The tempo of the song never really increases, but remains at a relatively similar beat throughout the song. Her voice stays the main element of the song, the background music actually stays in the background. Quite refreshing actually. T-Swift has pretty great taste in music.

How I Want Ya” by Hudson Thomas Ft. Hailee Steinfeld
Best song on the list so far. This track feels so different from everything else that comes on the radio, in a way I can’t really explain. So incredibly simple, but incredibly infectious at the same time. Even the album cover mesmerizes me slightly. The beat almost reminds me of the background noise from a videogame, but in a really good way.

New Obsession” by Frankie
“Ooooohh.” That’s all I have to say about this song. Super girly, super catchy. It’s very ‘90s pop and I can already tell that if I listen to this more than once, it will be stuck in my head all day. Great. But, nonetheless, the rhythm feels nice.

Alive” by Kehlani Ft. Coucheron
This track.. almost indie, but I can barely decipher the words. The meaning confuses me also. I can’t tell if the song should be a love song or a sad song. Oh well, that was beside the point. I like the sound of this but you can’t really dance to it. So I’m not sure what scenario would be best for this song. All in all, a decent song, but not really my thing. She has a nice voice though and the album cover looks pretty swiggity.

I’m Yours” by Alessia Cara
This Track will change lives for the better. From the up and coming artist, with the hit single “Here,” Alessia Cara. Right off the bat, the beat feels so infectious and perfect for dancing and then her voice comes in, so abrupt and soulful. The lyrics in this song resonate so raw and emotionally, they don’t feel flowery or dressed up like a lot of songs sometimes can be. It sounds like it came straight from the minds of the intended audience. It makes me picture the typical ‘girl in a movie listening to her headphones immediately after falling in love.’ It’s a total jam.

Sleep On It” by Emmi
This song I like, in fact, I just added it to my workout playlist. I can tell this track will be really memorable and her voice sounds really deep and soulful. If Adele had a voice child, it would be Emmi. The beat goes perfect for dancing or working out or hanging with friends. Basically you can listen to this all day. Not to mention Emmi: super gorgeous and I’m jealous. I’m already replaying the really catchy chorus in my head after one listen.

Return to the Moon” by El Vy
Yas T-Swift. I am 50 seconds in and I love it so much. This song has the perfect beat for his voice and it has a groovy way about it. The track feels almost like a folk song but it doesn’t at the same time. Super hipster and trendy, if that’s your thing. I digress, this is my new favorite song on this list. His voice sounds so beautiful and smooth and I just really enjoy it. I can totally see this playing in some movie while the main character goes on an epic adventure, like ‘Paper Towns’ or ‘Adventureland.’ El Vy would have been perfect.

Swords” by M.I.A.
This sounds like a song from a Bollywood sword fighting movie? Or should it be rap-ish? I can hardly understand the lyrics, but the song proves to be very unique. M.I.A. has Sri-Lankan heritage so that introduces an entirely new vibe to this song. Not my type, but very original and well done.

It’s Strange” by Louis the Child Ft. K Flay
The beginning washes over you; very calming and filled with soothing drums. It sounds like a child playing the xylophone. And then she drops an F-Bomb. Nonetheless, a really good song. It stays really smooth the whole time and a seems like a fun track. She has a super unique voice that fits right in with the rhythm of the song. The lyrics aren’t bad either, I might actually give this one another listen or add it to my own playlist.

Alanna Zaskoda
Alanna Zaskoda, Editor In Chief
Aloha. My name is Alanna Maria Zaskoda, but if you can't pronounce that you can give me a nickname. I am an avid Harry Potter fan and fashion fanatic. My horse is my life and I'll be your best friend. So shoot me an email or a tweet or a text and get to know me. That is all.