Review: Moana

Moana was released by Walt Disney Animation Studios on November 23, 2016
Photo by Photo from Disney

All of us have relied on Disney to spark our imagination during our early years to reignite the wonders and excitement from childhood at one point. From The Incredibles in 2004 to Frozen in 2013, Disney has never ceased to amaze us with its movies. As of Nov. 24, 2016, the long awaited Moana has been released, and may I just say, it was spectacular.

Of course, I was outnumbered by normally rambunctious children, but by the end of the movie, I felt like one of them. I had forgotten for a short moment the stresses of school with exams that were approaching and thought back to when I could go home after school to watch hours of Kim Possible without a single worry.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

First off, I would like to say I am an old soul and do not usually take any joy in anything new released. Whether a new TV show or new content on social media, I have never liked it and have found it quite repulsive. But with Moana, I really enjoyed just about every bit.

The Pros:
For once, Disney displayed its knowledge of other cultures. Most of the time, we see very Eurocentric movies, and as a biracial person, it helps to see something that doesn’t focus on a princess with an unrealistic body type, blonde hair and blue or green eyes. I loved how Moana’s hair resembled that of a Polynesian Islander and how the people weren’t depicted as stubborn or ignorant. They all acted in a loving manner, were very resourceful and very involved in the arts—like how they actually were.

I also loved how the directors and producers of the movie actually took the time to attempt to try be as culturally aware of Polynesian ways. They talked to the natives to get their opinions and insights, had Polynesian actors play the parts and portrayed Dwayne Johnson as a somewhat mushy-gushy guy. That was quite the touch.

Most importantly, I loved the message displayed behind all of the singing, dancing and transformations: the true essence of power women have and the need for appreciation of cultures. In a not-so-obvious way, there were very subtle hints to the importance of a healthy relationship with nature and how we should take care of our environment since we so heavily depend on it.

The Cons:
There were a few parts that left me confused. At times, I didn’t really understand the connection between one part of the movie to the next. Other than that, the movie was spectacular.

The Verdict:
Moana was like an escape from all of life’s responsibilities and stresses. It definitely helped me better appreciate Polynesian cultures. From the songs, clothing and dancing, everything helped shine the light on other hidden cultures. By far, this movie has been one of my favorites in terms of new releases. I would definitely recommend this movie for older siblings to take their younger brothers and sisters.

Rating: 8/10

Saella Ware
Saella Ware, Staff Writer
Hey, it's Saella. I'm kinda weird and quirky, so if you enjoy that type of stuff, you'll hopefully like me and my stories. I'm sort of a boba addict and quite the travel/food connoisseur. I know, big word. I'm proud of myself. Anyway, ciao!