Review: Dragon Ball Super

Dragon Ball Super will air on Adult Swim on January 7th
Photo by photo used with permission from flickr.com

With an upcoming English dub on January 7, 2017, and four story arcs already finished, I think it’s time to review the sequel to my favorite series, Dragon Ball Super. Now, I know writing a review of this might seem a bit “nerdy,” but it may surprise you how many people in our school support the Dragon Ball franchise.

From the 1990s to the early 2000s, this show reached peak popularity among preteen and teenaged boys and some girls. At one point, it rivaled Star Wars and Harry Potter in popularity among teens. Now, after almost 20 years, it has come back with unbelievably high ratings in Japan and Europe.

The Pros:
The story has much more thought provoking ideas than its predecessors but still uses the same elements. Unlike before, where it was 15 percent plot and 85 percent fighting, Super has led the audience to ask questions about the existence of life and if humans really help the world they live in.

As for the animation, of course, it looks better than what it was in the 90s with its use of a wide array of colors and crisp shading. At times, the animation made it seem like the characters could jump out of the screen.

A new cast of characters and an exponentially bigger world than what was before also keeps me interested. Originally, in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, I grew up believing there was only one universe, but after Super came out, I learned 12 universes are currently being explored. This gave me nostalgia because I always loved an adventure story as a child, but it felt different and fresh at the same time because of it’s on a much grander scale.

The Cons:
Of course, nothing is perfect. Not even my favorite show.

First off, unlike Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, this series fails to focus on other characters besides the two main characters, Goku and Vegeta. Yes, it does give characters their moments, but those moments don’t last long and don’t really affect the plot in any way.

The show also seems a bit too goofy at times. Compared to the first series in the trilogy, Dragon Ball, the goofiness is on the same level. However, compared to its immediate predecessor, Dragon Ball Z, Super has just a little too much goofiness. It has good comedy, but sometimes, it seems pushed rather than natural.

Final Verdict:
Overall, I believe it’s a wonderful series that almost anyone can enjoy. Similar to Star Wars, Super has a massive world that has yet to have been explored fully and can catch anyone’s attention. With a large, silent fan base, this show can thrive in the U.S. just as it does in Europe and Japan.

8.5/10

Khalid Ahmed
Khalid Ahmed, Staff Writer
My name is Khalid Ahmed, and I'm a sophomore. I'm 15 years old and in newspaper. I was born with a heart condition known as truncus arteriosus. I've gone through five surgeries. Four of them were open heart, and the most recent one was through catheterization. I'm really big sports fan, too! I'm a Mavs Fan For Life, a Cowboy fan, Rangers fan, Stars fan, and an FC Dallas fan! One thing that most people don't know about me when they first meet me is that I'm a Muslim, and I'm proud to be one! Growing up, I was always teased about my religion and used that to mold who I am today. I want to prove to the world that Muslims aren't what mainstream media portrays them to be. Another big thing about me is that I'm arguably the biggest Dragon Ball Z fan that you might ever meet! I love watching it! It taught me to never give up and to break through my limits! Also, I love to watch/read romance stories which, I admit, isn't really what most guys my age are into, but, hey, that's who I am, and I'm proud of it!