Review: The LEGO Batman Movie

The LEGO Batman Movie was released by Warner Animation Group and Warner Bros. Pictures on February 10. The film comes after the success of The LEGO Movie, released in 2014.
Photo by Photo used with permissions from Flickr.com

After watching this movie, I think it’s time for Warner Brothers and DC Comics to pull the plug on the DC Extended Universe and focus on LEGO movies instead. That’s how good this movie is. As a guy that doesn’t like DC in general, this movie allowed me to give DC a second chance.

With that being said, this movie had a lot pros and cons, with the pros outweighing the cons. Also, there might be a few spoilers here and there.

PROS:

The LEGO Batman Movie took the concept of a superhero movie and twisted it around. Nowadays, when we think of a superhero movie like Iron Man, Man of Steel, Doctor Strange, etc., we think of a more edgy, darker-toned story than what we’re used to. However, this movie reminds us that kids are superhero fans too, and it reassures parents that if they leave their kid alone with this movie, they’ll be fine.

This movie also did a good job at interconnecting all the previous Warner Brother-LEGO products with the Phantom Zone. The Phantom Zone is basically where the LEGO versions of villains from Warner Brothers’ movies reside. Some of these villains include Voldemort from Harry Potter, Sauron from Lord of the Rings,the Daleks from Doctor Who, King Kong and even the Gremlins.

As for the voice acting, it exceeded my expectations in many ways. After just a few snippets of Will Arnett’s voice as Batman in The LEGO Movie, I came into the movie very skeptical that he could carry an entire movie. To my surprise, he did. In my opinion, he did it better than Christian Bale did Batman. Also, the voice of Dick Grayson or Robin, Michael Cera, more than exceeded my expectations. Usually, in a movie like this, the sidekick is somewhat annoying and almost unlikable, but Cera disproved this stereotype and at times made me feel for the character he played.

The story itself, if you cut away the goofiness and wacky comedy, also seems like a conventional Batman story you’d only find in comics which made the movie better.

CONS:

With every coin, there’s always an opposite side. This movie is no exception even though it has fewer than most.

The main thing that I didn’t enjoy was the pushed humor, but it’s understandable as it’s still a kids movie at heart. However, the moments in which Batman beat-boxes his every move seemed unnecessary.

Another problem that I had with this movie, but you can also say it’s a positive, is its runtime. Two hours and nine minutes is pretty long for a kid’s movie.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

As a whole, The LEGO Batman Movie could be the start of a much bigger franchise of movies. Maybe a LEGO DC Extended Universe where the whole family can enjoy the movies. Honestly, as I saw it with my younger brother, it’s good movie for kids to get into comics or make friends over.

RATING:

9.4/10

Khalid Ahmed, Staff Writer
My name is Khalid Ahmed, and I'm a sophomore. I'm 15 years old and in newspaper. I was born with a heart condition known as truncus arteriosus. I've gone through five surgeries. Four of them were open heart, and the most recent one was through catheterization. I'm really big sports fan, too! I'm a Mavs Fan For Life, a Cowboy fan, Rangers fan, Stars fan, and an FC Dallas fan! One thing that most people don't know about me when they first meet me is that I'm a Muslim, and I'm proud to be one! Growing up, I was always teased about my religion and used that to mold who I am today. I want to prove to the world that Muslims aren't what mainstream media portrays them to be. Another big thing about me is that I'm arguably the biggest Dragon Ball Z fan that you might ever meet! I love watching it! It taught me to never give up and to break through my limits! Also, I love to watch/read romance stories which, I admit, isn't really what most guys my age are into, but, hey, that's who I am, and I'm proud of it!
$3000
$5000