Review: Ed Sheeran – ÷ (Divide)

Ed Sheerans third studio album released on March 3.
Photo by Asylum Records, Atlantic Records
Ed Sheeran’s third studio album released on March 3.

Dear Ed,

Since I know you read a lot of your own press, I wanted to leave a note, just in case. I hope you get to fill in your uncolored puzzle piece tattoo very soon. Please share a picture of it for me. If you’re impressed by this review, my email is on my staff profile. I miss you on Snapchat. I sent you a Valentine before I realized you didn’t have a phone anymore.

With love, Lexi.

P.S. If you’re impressed with this review, Texas is a lovely place to visit, and I’d give anything to meet you!

(Divide) could quite possibly have been the most highly anticipated album of 2017. Ed Sheeran himself promised it was going to be the best, most honest album he’s done so far, triggering excitement upon the masses, and of course myself.

Since taking a one year hiatus from social media that sent me and many other fans into a deep dark depression (it’s okay, the life-sized, cardboard cutout of Ed Sheeran in my room kept me company in his absence), Ed surprised and intrigued fans all at once by marking his return (Dec.13) with a mysterious blue image on his social media accounts. Speculation of course occurred: this image would be the next album cover.

Three songs from Divide released before the album itself: “Shape of You” (which he splendidly performed at the Grammy’s) and “Castle on the Hill.” He waited until his birthday, Feb. 17, to release a third song, “How Would You Feel? (Paean),” before the final album release date on March 3, 2017.

Songs:

1 “Eraser”
I love the way the guitar sounds in this song. The beginning of the track reminds me of his older song, “The Man.” How can one’s voice be so pure? Everyone else is just a Great Value water bottle “with minerals added for taste,” and Ed is a Fiji brand bottle, the “natural artesian bottled water” of choice. The message of the song boils down to fame is “hell” and being rich isn’t all that great either. Also, this song gives us a bit more insight into Ed’s personal life. Sweet, sweet knowledge. #blessed

2. “Castle on the Hill”
If Ed’s voice was a food, it would be butter or chocolate; it’s smooth, rich, and sweet, just like this song. “Castle on the Hill” contains hints of nostalgia for his homeland and old friends. Full of Ed’s different memories, the song gives listeners a glimpse into his formative years. Learning about Ed’s first kiss made me wish I was 8 years older and also from England…. hehe.

3. “Dive”
“Dive” has more similarities to some of Ed’s other albums. His intense voice with a few backup singers blend together to make a very powerful song. If you are trying to secure a bae that seems to be a player, you will probably relate to this song more than you want to.

4. “Shape of You”
A very upbeat pop tune, featuring a masterful use of the xylophone. Hopefully, you’ve heard it already by now. Catch up. I listened to this one before “Castle on the Hill” when he released the them. I definitely cried. Don’t judge me.

5. “Perfect”
It’s so cute you cry, but mostly because it wasn’t written for you, you know? Written for his girlfriend, he sings about their future, their children and her loveliness. It’s a beautiful ballad. “Perfect” is definitely on par with “Thinking out Loud.” I can tell on that first day, it’s gonna be a hit. [I want this on the record, so when Ed wins the Grammy, I can say I predicted it first on March 3 at 1:04 pm.] It has a whimsical sound to it — like from a wedding in a movie or a Disney princess song.

6. “Galway Girl”
The Irish influence makes this song very upbeat. It sounds similar to “Nancy Mulligan” because of the Celtic vibes. Ed’s sings about a charming fiddle player in an Irish band. If your homie hands you the aux, play this. It’s lit. This is my second favorite track on the album.

7. “Happier”
This song is HEARTBREAKING. You will shed genuine tears, especially if you’ve recently had a breakup. It’s honest, raw and really beautiful to listen to. “Happier” is a perfect blend of his magic angel notes and powerful, rich ones.

8. “New Man”
ED IS A SAVAGE. He spends the majority of the song hardcore judging his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend, and the other part, he’s addressing her new, questionable lifestyle. It’s hilarious. You’re too good for her Ed, truly. The song itself is catchy and upbeat. He also references Kendall and Kylie Jenner, so that’s interesting.

9. “Hearts Don’t Break Around Here”
Oh, this is just too cute. Ed sings about safety, security and trust in a relationship. Ed describes the love everyone wants but few cherish. “Hearts Don’t Break Around Here,” “Perfect” and “How Would You Feel (Paean)” are clearly about the romance with his girlfriend Cherry Seaborn, and they’re all so sweet you might just cry — I did.

10. “What Do I Know?”
Ed harmonizes with himself in this song, and it sounds really interesting. This song reminds me of “Blowing in the Wind” by Bob Dylan, not because of its sound but because of its message.

11. “How Would You Feel (Paean)”
This song is very pure, sweet and wholesome. As his girlfriend’s favorite, Ed recorded it for the album (fortunately for us). It would be a lovely wedding song. If someone sang this to me, we’d get married instantly tbh.

12. “Supermarket Flowers”
This song follows Ed’s emotions as he deals with the tragic death of his grandmother. Ed’s voice genuinely sounds like an angel in this song. Think of a church choir singing high notes to a Christmas song, so they sound like real live angels — it sounds like that, but better.

13. “Barcelona”
Ed’s soulful voice really pops in this fun, tropical-sounding song — 10/10 would recommend. It is implied he takes a special lady friend on a spontaneous trip. I wish it was me on that plane. This song is my third favorite.

14. “Bibia Be Ye Ye”
Time to get wild kiddos. This song sounds very similar to “Barcelona,” upbeat and tropical. This is a song I would listen to on a beach vacation with my family while my dad wears his embarrassing “it’s 5 o’clock somewhere” Tommy Bahama shirt.

15. “Nancy Mulligan”
This song gets me LIT. It’s so much fun to listen to and sing along. Ed sings a story from his grandfather’s point of view, following the adorable love story of his grandparents. The song was written mainly about/dedicated to his grandmother. This is my absolute favorite song from the album. It sounds like a modern version of an Irish folk song.

16. “Save Myself”
It is kinda disappointing when you do so much for someone else, and they don’t return it to you, whether it’s family, friends or your bae. “Save Myself” portrays this idea in a really unique way: “I gave all my oxygen to people that could breathe.” Sometimes you have to do things for yourself, especially when no one else does. That’s the general premise of this song. It’s beautiful, poetic, and sad.

Ed’s voice is so versatile, just like this album. He proved, once again, that he can perfectly execute any genre. His vocal range is impressive with songs ranging from powerful and intense to soft, angelic whispers. I doubt there’s anything he can’t sing amazingly. Let’s be real though, I’d pay to listen to him scream wildly into the abyss. Overall, Divide seemed much more upbeat than some of his older music. A few of the songs are truly heartbreaking, but overall, this album reflects a deep appreciation for love and living happily.
10/10

Lexi Ellis
Lexi Ellis, Staff Writer
I am a Staff Writer for the Legacy newspaper, and I am also an officer in Legacy Key Club and NHS. email: [email protected]
$3000
$5000