Mansfield Rocks

Lauren Hargrove reviews Mansfield Rocks in Mansfield, Texas.
Photo by Photo by Mansfield Rocks Facebook page

Keep or hide, you decide! Post a picture at #mansfieldrocks.

It all started with a Facebook page: a page that mostly consists of moms and their families that paint, hide, find, re-hide and repeat. Junior Abby Walker thinks rock hunting looks interesting because it’s not something she does everyday.

What to do:

1. Ask a friend to invite you to the Mansfield Rocks Facebook page. It is a closed group so it requires an invitation.
2. Once you are joined, read the posts. People will post pictures, hints, rocks they are working on or ask if anyone is out hiding anywhere.
3. Once you hear about a spot you are near, drive there. Find the rock. You may choose to re-hide the rock or keep it for yourself. Just make sure if you keep a lot you are painting and hiding rocks too.

“I want to go rock hunting,” Walker said. “It’s an excuse to be outside and be mindless.”

What to paint:

You can paint anything on your rock. Some people paint their rocks around certain holidays. Others make their rocks into burritos, turtles, princesses, ladybugs or anything you set your mind to.

“I would definitely paint rocks and hide them with my friends,” Walker said. “It seems fun.”

What you need:

1. Rocks. Do not take rocks from landscapes. Public or private. Rocks can be purchased for cheap off of 1187 at a place called Rocky’s. Bring cash.
2. Paint. This is the expensive part of the process. Typically, people use acrylic paint and enamel. Make sure you cover your paint with clear sealers once it is dry.
3. Brushes. If you are a more detailed painter, you will want small brushes to focus on the little things. However, you can still have fun with it if you are not very artsy. Trust me.
4. An imagination. Sit down with some friends and open your mind. You can paint anything you want to.

“[Painting rocks] is something easy to do,” Walker said. “It’s also creative and cheap.”

Make it fun

Make the experience fun. Have people over for a rock painting party, look for rocks late at night or get a bunch of friends together and compete to see who can find the most.

“It’s nice to do something other than just hanging out or going out to eat,” Walker said. “I think bonding with friends over [rock hunting] makes a ‘remember when’ experience.”

Lauren Hargrove, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Lauren Hargrove and I'm Editor in Chief of TheRiderOnline.com. I enjoy football games, dogs and hanging out with friends. I'm sarcastic and sassy and honestly, I'm here for the food and to write I guess.
$3000
$5000