Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Students Going Into the Military

Senior Caleb Bielby cheers with other JROTC members
Photo by Todd Hill

When faced with the question “what are your plans after high school?” most high school students would stop in bewilderment and fumble over words trying to come up with what they plan to be do doing.

Senior Caleb Bielby joined the National Guard and attends class at school. Knowing the path to his career has begun to unfold and entered a period of time where seniors need to start getting their future together, Bielby stays one step ahead of the crowd by already having his plan.

“It seemed weird to go through life without helping my country,” Bielby said. “I figured out what I wanted to do early on.”

Though not all students have concrete plans after high school. There are really only three options for Bielby to choose from; Going to college, joining the Military, or going straight to working and/or pursuing a career. Bielby has known since eighth grade what he’s wanted to do.

“I wanted to help my country by joining,” Bielby said.

Each person enlisting into the military must go through BASIC training. To join the National Guard while in high school one must be enrolled in high school or working towards their GED.

“I looked into the Marines, and it was a choice between that and the National Guard,” Bielby said. “I chose the National Guard because they offered good benefits for college.”

Bielby joined the National guard in April 2012. Contracts for the National Guard require six years of commitment (these can be extended) and include training one weekend every month as well as one week in the summer.

“I was still skeptical about swearing in and joining the Guard,” Bielby said, “but then when I went through training I enjoyed it and knew what I wanted.”

Bielby joined JROTC his sophomore year and plans on studying criminology at Texas Tech University for the fall semester. The GI Bill states the government and branches of the military will help pay for college fees as well as loans for veterans attending college after their service.

“JROTC is so much less intense than actually joining,” Bielby said. “Once you go through BASIC you realize that.”

Along with Bielby, senior Dustin McMaines plans to join the national guard but for a different reason.

“If I had it my way I wouldn’t want to be in combat,” Mcmaines said, “but if it’s what I have to do, I’ll do it.”

McMaines plans on joining ROTC while attending college. As of right now, Beilbe contemplates between Texas Tech and Tarleton State. After college McMaines intends to enlist to become in active duty in the Army, but after his four year service he wants to begin a career outside of the military.

“I’m going to use the military as a kick-start into my life,” McMaines said.

The military can be utilized in many different ways after high school. Once finished with college, Bielby plans to make a career in the military. Bielby wants to go into in explosive ordinance disposal (EOD). He has a plan.

“[Joining the military] might be hard at times, but then you look back at it and you realize it was good and pretty fun,” Bielby said.

Maxwell Allsup
Maxwell Allsup, Staff Writer
Max, my name is Max... I think that I'm tall. I think that I can play football. I also deny that I am blonde. I really like Russian traditional music, and I love the new T-Swift song. Madison played it this morning, omg totes cried. I secretly love dance moms but its actually not a secret because I tell everyone. I also most definitely and completely undeniably have an immense amount of swagg. [email protected]