Urine for a Show: Musical Comes to Legacy

Theatre+performs+second+musical.+
Photo by Adriance Rhoades
Theatre performs second musical.

A tax on peeing, a daughter doubting her father and a young boy leading a revolution; all these blend together to create Urinetown the Musical. Legacy’s Drama Department presents its second musical in school history, Urinetown. This comedy, narrated by a little girl and corrupt cop, satirizes populism, the legal system and capitalism.

The musical will be shown at 7 p.m. on Jan. 30 and 31 and Feb. 1 and at 2 p.m. on Feb. 2. Tickets range from $5 for students and $7 for adults.

Conflicts begin when Old Pa Strong can’t afford the fee to use the amenity (restroom). Penelope Pennywise, the woman who runs the amenity, calls Lockstock and Barrel the town’s policemen. The policemen carry the guilty poor man off and send him to Urinetown. When the main protagonist, Bobby Strong, watches the poor old man get dragged off a inner-conflict occurs leading him to start a rebellion that would end the tax on peeing.

Junior Sam Berbel memorized his lines and developed his character of Caldwell B. Cladwell in November.

“Everyone has stepped up, and the blend of the actors and singers make this a one-of-a-kind-show,” Berbel said.

Caldwell B. Cladwell, the head of Urine Good Company, posed a challenge for Sam Berbel to play.

“My character Caldwell B. Cladwell was hard for me to relate too,” Berbel said “[Cladwell] is a jerk, and I am not a jerk.”

Urinetown The Musical features a live orchestra composed of students from the LHS Band with Director Isaiah Galvan conducting them. Mr. Galvan also plays a saxophone solo in “Snuff That Girl,” a song the poor people sing to Hope Cladwell (the female protagonist) saying they want to kill her. Mr. Galvan believes the music is a challenge for his second and third band members.

“It’s a lot harder to put live music with a live chorus,” Mr. Galvan said. “Timing is of the essence in a musical [but] I’m extremely impressed with what they’ve done so far.”

In order to keep the timing of the show, sophomore and stage manager Emily Burns takes line notes when actors miss their lines, so she understands the dynamics of the show between the performers and crew.

“It’s a good blend between all the art departments and bonding within the cast,” Burns said.

Sophomore Catie Williams mixes with the ensemble as the character Soupy Sue, one of the poor people who assists Bobby in the revolution against Cladwell. She has formed her character as a sort of run-down Marilyn Monroe and wears an eyepatch in the show.

“My character is strange and poor,” Williams said. “In order to play this character, I have to bring emotion and energy.”

The male lead of the show, junior Christian Boulter plays Bobby Strong, a young man with a strong desire to right the wrongs of Cladwell’s criminal urinal chain. Boulter finds the singing part less challenging, regardless of the fact that this is his first musical.

“I sing in the shower all the time, so the singing part wasn’t that bad,” Boulter said.

Boulter drew inspiration for his over-the-top superhero character from watching old cartoons and conducting research elsewhere to solidify his role. Director Mrs. Kelsey Scott gave Boulter the idea of watching Crybaby to assist in the mood aspect of the show.

“I watched a lot of Johnny Bravo and Crybaby and brought the dramaticness and naiveity to Bobby Strong,” Boulter said.

The problems the characters face in Urinetown The Musical are similar to the problems people face everyday, allowing the audience to grasp more of the message that the way we are living is unsustainable and will lead to overall human extinction.

“A unique musical that addresses real issues in a lighter tone,” Burns said.