“Olga” Joins Legacy’s Staff

Olga%2C+Ms.+Longs+friend%2C+found+in+Dr.+Butlers+office%2C+continues+to+prank+faculty+and+staff.+
Olga, Ms. Long’s friend, found in Dr. Butler’s office, continues to prank faculty and staff.

Walking down the hallway, history teacher Rena Long carries Olga, a mannequin, to her next victim. Ms. Long and Olga get the door unlocked and walk into Assistant Principal Leonard Cousins’ office. Carefully, she positions Olga behind Mr. Cousins’ desk; her arms fully extended out toward the keyboard and her head turned to the door. Turning the lights off, Ms. Long leaves Olga in the office to greet Mr. Cousins in the morning.

The next day at 6:20 a.m. Mr. Cousins walked into his office and flipped on his light. To his surprise he found Olga standing behind his desk and smiling. Startled, Mr. Cousins almost threw his coffee to the ceiling.

“It took me a little while to regain my composure,” Cousins said. “It was the weirdest experience; Olga scared the bajeebies out of me.”

Ms. Long received Olga in the mail from her mother in 2009. Originally Ms. Long planned to use Olga to model clothes for eBay but, according to Ms. Long, Olga was too ugly to use. Most people at Legacy don’t know Olga’s past, all they know is she just showed up one day.

“Does anyone really own Olga?” Ms. Long said. “I mean you can’t really own a person.”

On Olga’s first day at Legacy people found her a bit creepy. The first thing Olga decided to do was visit science teacher Ms. Hurst. When Olga arrived at her room no one was there, so Ms. Long let Olga stay and wait for Ms. Hurst to return in the dark.

Olga.
Olga.

“Olga’s a bit of a prankster,” Ms. Hurst said. “She’s a good friend of mine. We go knock on peoples’ doors together, then Olga surprises them.”

Since Olga’s first day, she has teamed up with some of the Legacy staff members to prank people, like counselor Tonya Cook. Getting to school early one morning, Ms. Cook turned on the lights just like any other day. When the lights flipped on, she saw Olga standing near her computer and then screamed, worrying secretaries, who came running back in a panic.

“Watch out. She will show up when you least expect it,” Ms. Cook said. “Olga’s creepy and looks a little homely.”

Olga has taken part in many pranks around Legacy, including ones played on Mr. Davis, Ms. Shackelford, Coach Young, Mr. Williams, Mr. Ritz, Ms. Sykes, Ms. Ready and Ms. Frye. Sometimes it backfires on the people helping Olga. She often startles the prankers on accident.

“You know she’s there, but when you catch her out of the corner of your eye she gets you,” Ms. Hurst said. “She just has a way about her that scares people.”

For the most part, students welcomed Olga. Some are very frightened and can’t be around her, while others take selfies with her, dance with her, talk about what good friends they have become and joke with and about her.

“When I first saw Olga I thought she was hot,” sophomore Benjamin Ayers said. “I’m madly in love with her.”

Before Legacy Olga only had one dress, given to her by Ms. Long’s daughter. Along her journey around the school, she has acquired a wide variety of clothes and accessories. People have donated jackets, shirts, bows, jewelry and hats to Olga because they can tell she doesn’t have many things. She even has her own Legacy ID.

“The staff always wants to help when someone is in need,” Ms. Long said. “People could tell Olga could really benefit from their help.”

The students and staff have seen Olga all over the school, such as the tardy desk, the AP offices and in class. Her popularity has grown a tremendous amount. Some people are even happy to see Olga like Ms. Sykes who says she brightens up her day. Others don’t feel the same as Coach Keel says Olga gives him the “willies.”

“Olga comes around when we need her help,” Ms. Shackelford said. “She has become a big part of the Legacy family.”

View Comments (2)
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• S

Shiela millerFeb 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Olga has a sinister past, the police know her from hiding in her brothers closet one very late scary night!

• B

Ben AyersFeb 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm

This is so hilarious it made me smile and laugh.