Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Coach Retires After 34 Years of Teaching

After 34 years of teaching, Edward Barry retires.

After 34 years, beloved coach and history teacher Edward Barry has made the decision to retire from teaching. He has been with Legacy since its opening and will be missed both students and staff. After the school year ends, Barry plans on earning a license in Real Estate Investment and coaching a little league baseball team.

“I chose now to retire because my energy is good, I feel good and I want to leave it on a high note. I don’t want to drag myself out on my last day, an old decrepit man with a walker trying to get out of here,” Barry said. “I want to go on to the next phase of what I want to do with some energy and some vigor and see what that’s like.”

While Barry did enjoy the students he taught and the people he met, he isn’t upset about leaving behind the long coaching hours and standardized testing.

“I hate the way school has become about ‘teaching to the test’,” Barry said. “Kids don’t learn that way.”

Even though Barry was reluctant to give up teaching after so long, he was even more hesitant to leave his position as a football coach. He had been coaching most of his teaching career and enjoyed being a part of the team and the atmosphere.

“I’m gonna miss coaching the most. It’s who I am: a competitor, adrenaline, intensity and things like that,” said Barry. “Coaching allows for an outlet for that.”

Barry admits that moving on from a long career in education was a tough choice but he feels confident in his decision.

“It’s been an honor and a privilege to be a part of a great profession with a lot of professionals at Legacy and everywhere I’ve been and being part of that fraternity of teachers is a privilege and an honor.”

Alanna Zaskoda
Alanna Zaskoda, Editor In Chief
Aloha. My name is Alanna Maria Zaskoda, but if you can't pronounce that you can give me a nickname. I am an avid Harry Potter fan and fashion fanatic. My horse is my life and I'll be your best friend. So shoot me an email or a tweet or a text and get to know me. That is all.