Theater Nominated for Buckley Awards

Christian Boulter, 11, sings at a rehearsal for Urinetown.

Revisiting the musical that brought them together, the cast and crew of Urinetown gathered once again for a few more rehearsals. They prepared for another performance of a portion of the show.

Urinetown received three nominations for the Betty Buckley Awards, a regional awards organization that selects high school shows local to Fort Worth for awards. The awards include best musical, junior Samuel Berbel for best male actor in a musical and best choreography for senior Melissa Bergeré and freshman Hope Jimenez.

“I was ecstatic when I heard about the nomination,” sophomore Fiona Hoang said. “I was proud of us because I was afraid we weren’t going to get it.”

The show, directed by Mr. Jeremy Ferman and Mrs. Kelsey Scott, was Legacy’s second musical and their first Buckley nomination.

“I was really proud of the work the students did,” Mr. Ferman said. “Everyone stepped up.”

Because of the nomination, Urinetown performed three minutes of a musical number from the show at the awards ceremony, held at Casa Mañana on May 22. After consideration, the directors chose “What is Urinetown?”, the opening number to the second act.

“[The song] showcased more actors and some of the more interesting choreography we had,” Mr. Ferman said.

The musical number the cast performed opened the second act of the awards. The performers each have their own ideas of why the show turned out to be successful.

“All the hard work that we did in rehearsal got us here,” Hoang said.