Debate Teacher Shaves Head for Cancer

Mr. Ritz’s classes raised over $750 for LUCK Week, the most of any class at Legacy.

The week before LUCK week, Mr. Ritz, the Speech and Debate teacher, made a pledge to his students. If his students and him were to raise the most money out of all the teachers in the school he would shave his head to get students excited to donate.

The Friday before LUCK week, Mr. Ritz had already raised $60, even though LUCK week hadn’t even started. When each day ended, Mr. Ritz would bring his donations to the Student Council room.

Ms. Ausdenmoore, the Student Council teacher was astonished at how much money Mr. Ritz was bringing in.

“The money just kept coming and coming,” Ms. Ausdenmoore said. “It’s amazing that another teacher can teach the lesson of compassion and gratitude to his students in regards of helping others in need and giving what little each person can give.”

At the end of the week, Mr. Ritz and his classes brought in over $750 dollars. Not only do Mr. Ritz and his classes get the satisfaction of being the class that raised the most money, but they also get the accomplishment of raising money for a young girl in need of help, Brooke Hester. Not to mention, Mr. Ritz did keep his promise and followed through with the shaving of his head.

“I was very proud of my students who have an attitude of gratitude,” Mr. Ritz said. “It’s more what they were able to accomplish than anything I was able to accomplish. I’m proud that its not just about helping one girl or cancer, it’s about developing an attitude of gratitude that we measure our success not by what we have, but what we can afford to give.”

To read more about Brooke Hester, click here.

More information about Hester’s journey can be found at her website, BrookeFightsBack.org, or her online journal on CaringBridge.org.

Jacob Friedberg
Jacob Friedberg, Staff Writer
My name is Jacob. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am known as the "graphic guru". I am growing strongly but slowly. I plan on attending Oklahoma State University or Texas A&M University. I have a F-150, people say I look tiny in it.