Fab Lab
Fab Lab

Game Development Club Unites Talents

After the final bell of the school day blared, freshman Benjamin Schnuck the creator of the Game Development Club frantically rushed down to the first floor to begin his first meeting.

“I’m very nervous,” Schnuck said. “I don’t wanna come to an empty room.”

Schnuck and a few other students started a Game Development Club with the help of their sponsor, football coach and teacher Jimmie Green. Coach Green has spent more than ten years teaching tech labs and has earned a certification in web design.

“I’ve been waiting to get into game designing for a while,” Coach Green said.

The club originated with Schnuck and his two friends, freshmen Aden Michalski and Gage Mitchell. Eventually, Schnuck took the initiative and put his plan to develop a student organization into action.

“It’s a good way to meet people with the same interest as you,” Mitchell said. “Also, it’s very fun for people who like creating and designing video games.”

The Game Development Club consists of separate responsibilities and different branches. Because Schunck has developed the foundation of the club and has taken the position of manager. The idea to incorporate strengths from all around the school was brought to the table. Band students could help out with generating sound effects, art students could design the graphics, and those who know how to program would work with coding software.

“To make a game, you do need sound and art like backdrops and cover art,” Michalski said. “I think it’s pretty much necessary.”

Those involved with the organization hope for the best. The goal is to make video games with other peers and to have fun. Those who enjoy working with art, code, sound, directing, or any source of media technology are welcomed to join.

“This is a very team oriented club where you depend on people and will be depended on,” Schnuck said.

Coach Green informed the students Tony Garcia, Head of Business Development of Unity would be visiting Legacy April 5 to aid the group through their first game. Unity produces software for creating 2D and 3D games. The executive has worked with video game programming for over 20 years.

“I was super excited. It’s a guy that actually deals with [the software],” Schnuck said. “He could give me some insight.”

Hannah Garcia, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Hannah Garcia, and I'm proud to be Editor-in-Chief of such a great publication. I could try to be funny, but I won't put you through the pain of reading lame jokes. I'm here to write and make some memories before I leave high school. Peace out girl scout.
Taylor Scruggs, LBTV Staff
Hey y'all, I'm Taylor Leigh Scruggs. I'm brand new to the staff and I love it. I'm in the band and I am their Rep at Large. I love attention. I love God more than anything. Follow me on Twitter or Instagram. Go Broncos. [email protected]