Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Debate Engages in Banquet Festivities

Debate teacher, Mr. Howard Ritz proposes to his long-term girlfriend at the 2015 debate banquet.
Photo by Courtesy of Mr. Howard Ritz

Sophomore and future 2015-2016 Legacy Debate Captain Devyn Hinds gathers all of her thoughts as she begins to plan the first Legacy Debate banquet.

“I’ve always wanted a debate banquet,” said Hinds. “I heard there wasn’t going to be one and I took charge.”

Teacher of Professional Communications and Debate, Howard Ritz gave Hinds all the
responsibility of planning the event back in early March. The banquet was held at Spring Creek Barbeque on Friday, April 17 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

“Not knowing what’s going to happen is really stressful,” said Hinds. “I’m really anxious because I want everything to go right.”

Mr. Ritz has been preoccupied for the past few months making future plans with his girlfriend and future fiancée, Karen Twoney. Ritz proposed to Ms.Twoney at the debate banquet with a ring pop, and then he pulled out a real chocolate diamond and rose gold ring that was specially picked for her. With the ring in hand, Ms.Twoney said yes, and the entire debate team clapped for Mr. Ritz and his future wife.

“Debate is a big part of my life,” Mr. Ritz said. “I want them to be a part of this memorable moment.”

The Debate seniors gave farewell speeches. Policy Debate Captain Estrella Ramos spoke about her frightening experiences as a freshmen and how over all of the years she has seen the debate program grow exponentially. As her time ends, Ramos hands over the duties as Policy Debate Captain to Hinds.

“It makes me really happy to know the program is being left in good hands,” Ramos said.

The Legacy Debate team stayed afterwards to take group pictures. One of the many poses orchestrated by the team at the banquet would be one where freshman Benjamin Schnuck lays across the arms of his fellow debate peers.

“I liked that everyone had fun and enjoyed themselves.” Hinds said.

Hannah Garcia
Hannah Garcia, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Hannah Garcia, and I'm proud to be Editor-in-Chief of such a great publication. I could try to be funny, but I won't put you through the pain of reading lame jokes. I'm here to write and make some memories before I leave high school. Peace out girl scout.