Chinese Class to be Offered on Campus

Photo by Ben Townsend
A Chinese class will soon be offered on campus. Students previously had to travel to Ben Barber to learn Chinese.

The murmur of chinese students engaging in foreign conversations may soon fill the language hall at Legacy. Beginning in the 2015-16 school year students may apply to take the new Chinese course taught by Mrs. Lei-Jane Chou from Ben Barber.

The Executive Director of Curriculum, Christie Alfred, asked Dr. Butler if she wanted to add Chinese on the campus. Dr. Butler approved however 15 students’ signatures were required to make the course official.

“This class broadens the range of opportunity for Legacy students,” Dr. Butler said. “It’s our job as a high school to give you many options and this is another option.”

Dr. Butler’s open to any course on our campus that has a positive impact on the students. As long as they have a teacher to teach it, administration will accept any classes that are computer-based, new languages, or any class the students may be interested in. The more opportunities students are given, the more prepared they may be for careers outside of high school.

“Having this course allows our students to have a leg up on competition when looking for jobs, and any other course like this,” Dr. Butler said.

Not only does this course allow students to have a leg up in the workforce, but it also portrays the increasing globalization of our society with schools starting to integrate new languages and learning of cultures from foreign countries.

“We’re becoming a global society, when my parents were kids they were concealed in their little town and all business was held there,” Dr. Butler said. “When I became an adult, the world kind of blossomed and you now communicate with people in China everyday if you’re a finance person.”

This course could provide a vast range of opportunity and benefits for the students.

“It’s a special opportunity for our students,” Dr. Butler said.

–The course is still seeking commitments. Students have until Friday, May 15 to sign up.–

Phillip Smith, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Phillip Smith and I'm the Sports Editor for The Rider Online. I have been in journalism for three years, I'm on varsity basketball, and my favorite player was Kobe.
Ben Townsend, News Editor
I'm the News Editor so yeah. Enjoy the news. Go team.