Coach Murdock Resigns, Takes Summit Counselor Job

Coach Murdock coaches at a game against Richardson.

Following an intense weight lifting session, Coach Marchie Murdock sits his basketball players down in the humid, rubber-scented air of the weight room, along with his fellow coaches, Robert Young and Bryan Dibley. The room soon quiets as he begins to speak in a low, solemn tone, attaining the undivided attention of his athletes.

Coach Murdock announced his resignation from the head basketball coach position on May 11, Wednesday afternoon. After handing out physical flyers to his athletes for next year’s season, he gave a speech about his memories of basketball since being hired in 2007. Coach Murdock decided to step down because of health related issues, which were known by his coaches and athletes during mid-season. He informed the players that this was the best decision for him to make for the well-being of himself and his family.

“It comes a time where everyone has to make a decision about what direction they want to head, what’s the next adventure in life and what’s on their agenda,” Coach Young said. “It’s a decision everyone is going to have to make one day.”

Coach Murdock earned his certificate in counseling earlier in the year and accepted a counseling position at Summit High School.

“It’s a great opportunity for him to help students as a counselor in the same way he has helped the basketball program at Legacy,” Coach Dibley said.

It is not yet known who will replace Coach Murdock, but the boys’ basketball program will continue to build on the foundation he has left behind.

“I think the boys’ basketball program will continue to improve and be successful,” Coach Young said. “The foundation Coach Murdock laid was great, which is witnessed every time we play another team. They think about Legacy in the past years, so no matter when we step on the court, they remember how hard we play.”

The 2015-2016 season marked a decade for Coach Murdock as a head coach at Legacy.

“I know for Coach Murdock, after putting 10 years into this school, helping open it, building the basketball program, having as many winning seasons as he did and to become a part of this community, it must have been surreal for him to have that conversation,” Coach Dibley said. “It’s a sad day anytime someone as passionate, dedicated and concerned for what’s best for kids decides to move on.”

Coach Murdock brought a bright smile to not only staff members and students, but also the community.

“You can mention Coach Murdock’s name around any other professional in the building and even the district, and their eyes just light up,” Coach Dibley said. “He brought so much passion and joy that it also came out of the people he worked with.”

Phillip Smith
Phillip Smith, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Phillip Smith and I'm the Sports Editor for The Rider Online. I have been in journalism for three years, I'm on varsity basketball, and my favorite player was Kobe.
$3000
$5000