Mansfield ISD Trustees Approve 2016-17 Budget

The 2016-17 school year budget was approved by the Mansfield ISD Board of Trustees at the regular board meeting on Tuesday, June 28.
Photo by Sara Gerges

The 2016-17 school year budget was approved by the Mansfield ISD Board of Trustees at the regular board meeting on Tuesday, June 28. The budget for general operating totals $277.4 million while the student nutrition budget, which is not funded by Mansfield tax dollars, totals $15.9 million.

“I am excited about this budget because it is student driven,” Mansfield ISD Superintendent Dr. Jim Vaszauskas said. “It’s also important that we maintain competitive salaries for our teachers and staff.”

Among the highlights of the budget includes implementation of a new orchestra program, a technology plan of $3.4 million, and auxiliary and paraprofessional equity and market adjustments. The budget also incorporates for planning for an early college high school that will allow MISD students to be able to graduate with an associate degree and planning for a STEM Academy that will open in the 2017-18 school year.

New instructional coaches to support advanced academics, gifted and talented instruction, along with literacy and early childhood education will also be implemented into the district’s schools. Additionally, based on the midpoint of the applicable pay grade, teachers, administrators, professionals, paraprofessionals and auxiliary staff with receive a 2 percent raise.

“We’re excited about the STEM Academy opening in 2017-2018 and beginning orchestra for our students,” Dr. Vaszauskas said. “Our board is committed to giving parents more choice and our students more opportunities.”

Sara Gerges, News Editor
News editor. Short and sweet, just like this bio.