New 20-Minute Bronco Time Integrated into Block Schedule

Bronco Time serves as a mean for school communications, grade checks, college/career readiness, and study hall. [https://pixabay.com photo used with permission.]

An advisory period, known as Bronco Time at Legacy, came into effect in MISD high school schedules this year due to the district’s decision revert back to block schedule. Bronco Time, second period on A days and sixth period on B days, serves as a mean for school communications, grade checks, college/career readiness, and study hall.

“I like Bronco time because I get time to do my homework during my busy schedule,” senior Claire Francis said. “I believe that it’s super beneficial for students across the school.”

Every Tuesday, Bronco Time will serve as a grade check day where students can review their grades and reach out to their teachers if necessary. Wednesdays will suffice as a college/career readiness day. Underclassmen will be given PSAT preparation that will allow students to review vocabulary and questions from each of the three sections of the exam. After the PSAT, students will begin working with the SAT and ACT. During this time, seniors will be given time to work on college/career research and college applications.  

Ms. Julie Gross, PAP Algebra and SAT teacher, believes the advisory period holds many advantages to students.

“[Bronco Time] is very beneficial because there are some students that are not familiar with test details and strategies,” Ms. Gross said. “By learning strategies and seeing sample questions, students will be more prepared on the test and hopefully have less test anxiety on test day.”

On the rest of the days of the week, announcements, class meetings/activities, presentations, or any other school communications will be made by students’ advisory teachers. The rest of the time will be given to students as a study hall to do homework.

“All students can benefit from their peers.” Ms. Gross said. “I think having study time throughout the week is great. Students can study for afternoon tests [together] or work on morning assignments that are still fresh on their mind.”

Sara Gerges
Sara Gerges, News Editor
News editor. Short and sweet, just like this bio.