Album Review: Everybody Can’t Go by Benny the Butcher
All About the APs
All About the APs

Senior Becomes Wingstop Scholar

Senior and team captain Riley McKean congratulates her teammates after a win. Her leadership and academic achievements won her a $1000 Wingstop Scholar Award.
Photo by Jonathan Vo

Each month, Wingstop chooses one outstanding high school student to award a scholarship of $1000. For Nov. 2016, Wingstop chose senior Riley McKean.

“Coach Ryan nominated me,” McKean said. “It was a complete surprise.”

Coach Rachel Ryan had taken notice to McKean’s exceptional leadership skills while coaching her through volleyball.

“The qualifications for the scholarship were ‘team leader, active in the community and [academically] strong,’ and she perfectly represents all of those things,” Coach Ryan said. “I know she’ll be really successful in school. I hope she can take these qualities she’s learned in athletics and apply them in the future.”

McKean received recognition from Wingstop for maintaining straight A’s and acting as captain of the varsity volleyball team starting her sophomore year.

“There’s a lot of pressure, but you can really help your teammates,” McKean said

McKean plans to attend Texas A&M University and major in Business.

“I’m just going to focus on academics,” McKean said. “I’ve learned time management over the years.”

Ava Green, Staff Writer
My full name is Ava Noel Green, but everyone just calls me Ava. I'm a junior this year, and its my third year playing clarinet in the marching band and second year writing in newspaper. I love healthy food, chocolate, and all animals, but none more than elephants. I also really enjoy instant photography. I'm looking forward to writing and sharing this year!