Theatrical Designer Competes on Top Levels

Senior+Clara+Griepp+performed+in+the+Theater+production+of+Its+A+Wonderful+Life.+Griepp+traveled+to+Austin+to+compete+in+the+UIL+State+Theatrical+Design+competition.+
Photo by Colbi Branch
Senior Clara Griepp performed in the Theater production of “It’s A Wonderful Life.” Griepp traveled to Austin to compete in the UIL State Theatrical Design competition.

Because of her talent at designing and creating costumes for theatrical performances, senior Clara Griepp traveled to Austin to compete in a UIL Theatrical Design competition. The event prompts participants to build costumes for certain characters in a play. Besides UIL, Griepp designs and acts for the Legacy Theater Department.

“I’ve done costume design for the past two years,” Griepp said. “It’s really fun to be able to do that.”

This year’s competition was centered around the play “Into The Woods.” Designers had to create a costume for the Witch and were able to choose an additional two costumes to design. Griepp opted to make costumes for Cinderella’s Prince and Little Red Riding Hood.

“With theatrical design, it’s really cool to see all of these things that go into a production that’s not just the actors or the directors or the technicians,” Griepp said. “It’s also the people behind and before the show who plan out what kind of impact they have through the lights and clothing and colors.”

Legacy theater teacher Jeremy Ferman believes that Griepp’s success reveals the kind of talent all of his students have.

“[Griepp’s recognition] means that I’ve got some talented students that are not only interested in acting but also in designing and technical theater,” Ferman said. “I think [Clara is] an awesome, well rounded student.”

Jake Stacks
Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.
Colbi Branch
Colbi Branch, Photographer