Silver Spurs Prepare to “Capture The Moment” at The Center

Photo by photo by Kristen Bosecker
The Silver Spurs perform a number during a Junior Varsity game against Midlothian. On May 4, they will be performing “Capture The Moment” at 7pm at The Center

Looking into the mirrors on the wall, sophomore Emma Edison studies all the meticulous details of jazz dance, making sure every move, every angle shows perfection. During after school rehearsals for the spring show, Edison follows under the instruction of Silver Spurs’ coach Ms. Brooke Parlin in order to make the dance ready to perform.

The Silver Spurs will perform on May 4th at 7 pm at The Center. Tickets, which are on sale now in the dance room or at the door to the show, cost $5. During the show, Varsity and JV Silver Spurs along with a few dance students will perform to their theme, “Capture the Moment.”

“I feel like this is the last time we get to learn dances all together as a team,” Edison said. “It is going to be a really memorable show because we are basically going to send off the seniors and we are bringing back football routines and showing them.”

The theme of “Capture The Moment,” which was created by senior lieutenant Ally Accipiter, has encouraged the team throughout the year to not rush through life, but sit and savor moments that they might miss later on.

“This year there is a lot of seniors on the team that are going to be gone next year, and they are not going to remember a lot if they don’t just sit and capture the moment,” Edison said. “A lot of moments you wish you could take back once they’re gone.”

This show will include many styles of dance, such as jazz, hip-hop and lyrical. During the performance, the team will show featured dances from the football season, ones performed during the Silver Spurs competition season and dances highlighting the junior and senior classes.

“I feel like each girl has an opportunity to showcase what they really like to do,” Edison said. “During pep rallies we do a little hip-hop or kick here and there, but here we showcase every style of dance and every attitude.”

For the first time this year, the dance showcases only Legacy students. In the past, dance companies, colleges or outside acts would come dance along with the Silver Spurs during their show.

“It is my eighth year here at legacy but watching what this program has become from my first year until now is really fun, really exciting,” Parlin said. “I’m really proud of every girl that has come through and that has made a contribution to the program to build to where it is today.”

Graduating seniors on the team will perform together for the last time during this show. As a send off, seniors will be recognized during the show by performing solos and being highlighted in group numbers.

“This has been the tenth anniversary of our school and our team, and it happens to be a really outstanding year as a Silver Spur and an outstanding year for me personally,” Parlin said. “So I would like to capture every moment I have left with the class of 2017 and the tenth line, because it has been very special.”

Kathryn Pedroza
Kathryn Pedroza, Editor-In-Chief
"Kathryn with a K is so much better than Kathryn with a C"- Anne of Green Gables. Anyway, my life can be summed up in three things: showtunes, books and Jesus. I can talk forever about them if you'll let me.