Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Review: Pieces of a Real Heart by Sanctus Real

In 2008, Sanctus Real (a name which means “true holiness”) released We Need Each Other, a fantastic album mixing meaningful lyrics with flawless and eclectic pop/rock songwriting. The songs ranged from guitar-solo filled rockers to peaceful and soothing duets, with lyrics ranging from spiritual excitement to ending blame.

The follow-up, 2010’s Pieces of a Real Heart, is no such masterpiece. With the release of their fifth full-length record, the band are seasoned musicians and songwriters who clearly know what they’re doing: they’ve learned fairly well how to put 2+2 together and form well-crafted pop tunes. But the inspiration needed to create moving and powerful Christian music isn’t present at all. Stylistically, the music retreads past ground, with melodies rarely having any true emotion and the lyrics barely having anything new to say. It’s not hard to fall for the catchy hook and chugging guitars of “Take Over Me” or to enjoy the story of a growing child in “I’ll Show You How to Live,” but the album is just a template with no lasting effect.

The album’s brightest spot is “Dear Heart,” with its quirky indie-pop feel and its revelatory lyrics:  “Dear heart, do you belong to me or do I belong to you? I’ve heard it said to follow your heart, but oh heart, you’ve let me down, chasing love where it can’t be found.” But even if this song were perfect, it is not redeeming enough to save an album from a band that has produced truly inspired and moving work in the past. In the end, an album could never be recommended when it advertises a real heart and in fact has no heart at all.