Show Me the Money: Where Breast Cancer Money Goes

One in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, it’s the second biggest killer of women, killing 40,000 American women every year. Over the years, products that ensure customers a portion of the profit go to breast cancer research have increased, but not all of this money goes to where these companies promise it goes. Breast cancer organizations should spend more of their funds on research and development than awareness.

According to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, an estimated 232,240 women were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2013. New technology and treatments supported by donations remains essential in the fight against breast cancer. However, some companies take advantage of the multitude of customers who want to donate to the cause by using a portion of that money for their own benefit.

Businesses around the United States have shown their support in the fight against breast cancer by donating an amount of their profits to breast cancer research. The Susan G Komen Foundation remains one of the most well-known organizations affiliated with breast cancer. The majority of raised funds go to public education, which focuses on bringing awareness to the public. These funds would benefit more people if they went directly to research.

The Keep A Breast Foundation, another popular breast cancer prevention organization, received recognition after the release of  their “I Heart Boobies” bracelets. The Keep a Breast Foundation said it intends to spread public awareness with its bracelets and in 2010 gave only about $100,000 in grants to breast cancer research and kept the remaining profit.

Contrary to other organizations, Legacy’s Pink Fest, partnered with Moncrief Cancer Institute to raise funds locally,  gives back to the Mansfield community through free mammograms and breast cancer education.

When deciding where to donate to, using Charity Navigator can help track where money that charities raised actually go, in addition to total income and expenses. Businesses that use a majority of their income toward breast cancer can prosper by the public being educated about where this money goes.