Terrance Ivery

Terrance Ivery, 12, makes a pass during Legacys football game against Lake Ridge.
Terrance Ivery, 12, makes a pass during Legacy’s football game against Lake Ridge.

The rain came down from all angles, feeling more like pebbles than water. Senior quarterback Terrance Ivery entered the huddle with the play. The offense broke the huddle and everybody got set on the line of scrimmage. Ivery hiked the ball, dropped back, then took off down the right side of the field. A defender closed in on him rapidly. CRACK, Ivery was tackled at mid field. He thought nothing about it until he took the first step. The excruciating pain coming from his ankle was enough to send him back to the ground.

Ivery broke his ankle in the second round of the playoffs against McKinney North when he was tackled running down the sideline. The injury came early in the game and it was a huge blow to the team that was lead by Ivery the whole season.

“I could feel the pain but I didn’t think anything was wrong,” Ivery said. “I got up and as soon as I put pressure on the ankle, it gave out and I immediately fell to the ground.”

During the season, Ivery was being looked at by many schools to play football at the next level. In February, Ivery signed with the University of Tulsa, one of only four Legacy football players signing to a Division One school. Much time and effort went into the selection process but ultimately it came down to two factors.

“I really like the receiver’s coach and my bestfriend is already a member of the team,” Ivery said. “I want to be at a school where I’m comfortable and a place that I can truly call my home.”

Before he will be able to play a down of football at Tulsa, Ivery has to rehab his ankle and make sure he’s ready to go for summer conditioning at the university. He believes that running track has helped him rehab the ankle and even made it stronger.

“I want to build up a lot of strength in the ankle so that in the middle of the excruciating college season, I will still be able to run and make cuts without having to worry about re-injuring the ankle,” Ivery said.

Terrance Ivery was a major contributor in leading the Bronco football team to the third round of the playoffs, even if he wasn’t always out on the field making plays. Ivery will be truly missed.

“I have enjoyed my time a Legacy,” Ivery said. “I have made a lot of friends and I will know some of these people for the rest of my life.”