Emma Johnson

Photo by Emary Skoczlas
Emma Johnson practices an upcoming choir piece during choir class 4th block.

Junior Emma Johnson sits with choir director Josh Powell as they wait to hear if Johnson has made the All-State choir. The judge comes out and starts with the basses then onto the tenors, sopranos and finally the altos.

“It felt really great,” Johnson said. “I didn’t think I would get in I was like oh you know I’ll have to beat out four people and then apparently I beat out four people.”

Emma Johnson has been working since her freshman year to make the All State choir. Finally as a junior she was able to make it all the way to round four and make the choir. Emma put in many hours and days to learn the music and prepare for the competition.

“I have been trying out since freshman year and it’s nice to finally make it,” Johnson said.

This year Emma Johnson spent everyday working on her music piece. She would spend her lunches with choir director Josh Powell and would work with her voice lessons coach during her choir period. Over Christmas break Emma had two practices that lasted about an hour each. All the hours of practice were worth it.

“It’s kinda still surreal just because I have worked so hard to get there,” Johnson said.