Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Oust Broncos

The Seattle Seahawks ousted the Denver Broncos 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 2. Open-source photo from http://www.flickr.com/photos/quintanomedia/12245113796/.

The Seahawks hoisted the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the game by beating the favored Broncos. About 111.5 million people viewed the broadcast of the Super Bowl on TV and, according to ESPN, made it the highest viewed Super Bowl in history. This beat last year’s 108.6 million. Twelve seconds into the game on the very first play, the Seahawks lead 2-0, and it didn’t stop there. The Seahawks kept on rolling with touchdowns from Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch and Percy Harvin. The Seahawks lead 43 to eight. This set a season low for the Broncos.

Percy Harvin returned the opening kickoff of the second half for an 87 yard touchdown, putting the game in the books. Wilson passed for over 200 yards a pair of touchdowns. Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith returned an interception of 69 yards for a touchdown. Manning played one of the worst games of his life, and the scoreboard proved it. Richard Sherman and the Legion of Boom figured out Peyton’s hand signals and audible calls, which is why they held them to eight points.

People complained about the commercials not living up to prior years. Paying such a high price for an ad makes you believe they will be worth it. There was a Dannon commercial with familiar faces from the show Full House: John Stamos, Bob Saget and Dave Coulier. The Budweiser commercial played with the famous Clydesdale and featuring a little furry friend. The #EsuranceSave30 commercial started a very new trending hashtag on Twitter, making people tweet the hashtag to win one and a half million dollars, the amount Esurance had saved by buying the first ad after the Super Bowl.

For performing in the Super Bowl, you get a huge paycheck of zero dollars. Though Bruno Mars still treasured his experience playing in the Super Bowl halftime show, which featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Fireworks, stage lighting and a great performance from Bruno Mars. The crowd was into the bands and were excited Bruno got to perform. Mars sang Treasure, Runaway Baby and along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, a version of “Give It Away.”

Nobody is ready to watch a Super Bowl with an ending score of 43-8, but the Seahawks had confetti raining over their heads and a Super Bowl trophy in their hands when Peyton Manning and fellow Bronco teammates walked off the field. The 2014 Super Bowl Champion Seahawks didn’t possess one player who played in a Super Bowl before, and now they can all look at the huge rings on their fingers. NFL fans have a very long offseason until they get the satisfaction of football back in their lives.