Album Review: Everybody Can’t Go by Benny the Butcher
All About the APs
All About the APs

A Day to Remember; Mitchel Talks about Experiences at Army All-American Game

Army All-American Bowl committee selects 90 high school athletes from the entire nation who play in a game between the best of the best. Some athletes make All-State and aren’t even selected for this honor. With only three years of football experience under his belt, Tevin Mitchel made the roster and played for the West team in the bowl game. The impressive accomplishment stays cemented in his mind forever and he stays forever grateful for the experience.

“I didn’t even see it coming” Mitchel said. “It’s a real big accomplishment and the experience was great.”

Mitchel didn’t begin playing football until his freshman year at Legacy. Prior to Football, Mitchel played basketball in his hometown of Arkansas. When he moved to Texas, he decided to give football a shot. After going through several position changes, Mitchel got acquainted with the position of defensive back. His senior year, his impressive play at free safety earned him attention from college scouts and ultimately attained him a spot on the Army All-American Roster. Mitchel recorded no interceptions this season. But several compliments from the opposing teams have credited Mitchel’s coverage being so superlative that Quarterbacks don’t throw his direction.

“It’s a good feeling knowing that people don’t want to throw my way but at the same time you want that interception,” Mitchel said. “I’m always hustling to the ball.”

When game day finally arrived, nerves and anxiety hit Mitchel as he ran out onto the field to the roars of 40,000 fans, flashing of cameras everywhere, and video crews broadcasting his every move to a national audience. The sheer difference in athletic talent from normal district athletes to All-American also surprised Mitchel. However, Mitchel let his instincts take over and began to make plays for his team.

“I was kind of nervous when I first got out onto the field but once you start playing you’re fine.” Mitchel said. “The receivers were a lot tougher but I knew I could stick with them and eventually settled in.”

Although the East team defeated the West team 13-10, Mitchel enjoyed his time at the game and meeting all of the other athletes. He also believes that the experience will better prepare him for the competition he will face at the number nine ranked University of Arkansas. More importantly, he takes great satisfaction in making his father, who played in the NFL for nine years and always shown support for his son since, proud.

“My dad always told me I’d be great and to keep working hard,” Mitchel said. “I’ve always wanted to be like my dad. He’s my motivation.”