Advisory Changes Implemented to Encourage Attendance

Legacy Moves to 4A and Region II in UIL

Legacy will compete in 4A for the next two years after UIL announced the new alignments. The University Interscholastic League realigns schools every two years based on student population. To remain 5A, schools needed a minimum student population of 2,090. Legacy didn’t meet the required population causing a drop to 4A. Legacy was also moved to Region Two, District 15. The new Region Two moves region meets from Lubbock to Denton or UTA.

Along with Legacy, Lake Ridge and Summit are also in District 15. Arlington Seguin, Ennis, Lancaster, Red Oak and Waxahachie complete the district.

“It will be interesting to see the competition between us and some hometown rivals like Summit,” assistant football Coach John Fischer said.

In the past, Legacy was ranked at 4A. Baseball and football made it to finals when in 4A, along with many other sports progressing.

“4A in Texas is tough as nails,” basketball Coach Marchie Murdock said. “But to leave a district with perennial state powerhouses like Duncanville, Cedar Hill, South Grand Prairie and the talented athletes that Timberview and Mansfield has is like having Christmas in the day time and New Year’s Eve every day for two years.”

All the coaches expect a good challenge from the schools next year and hope their teams go far.

“It should be good,” golf Coach Christopher Word said. “We’ll see kids that grew up knowing each other and see how they compare.”

The academic UIL team also moves to the new district.

“Our 5A district had many quality programs and was tough competition,” Journalism Adviser Leland Mallett said. “This 4A district is a little unknown since we are in a new region.”

Nick Gross
Nick Gross, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Nick Gross. I am the Sports Editor this year. I love sports. My favorite sport has got to be baseball. My favorite team of course is the Rangers. I work for them as a parking attendant. Other than that, I love country music and I always wear boots around. Newspaper is always fun, and I enjoy it everyday. All the staff writers are hilarious, and the editors are all nice. Just kidding. The only people I like in here are my sports writers. Seriously. Everyone else hates us. I also like the LBTV folks. They're pretty cool as well. I am also on the field during games being the cute face on camera— I'm the only one with a face good enough. Thanks for taking time reading this, and follow me on twitter @nickggross [email protected]
View Comments (1)
$3000
$5000