Ty Lewellyn

Ty Lewellyn

Sophomore Ty Lewellyn stands with a guitar swung over his back, trying to avoid looking into the stage lights. He stands beside his fellow competitors nervously awaiting for the winner to be revealed. Senior Brittney Chaney and past Legacy Legend winner, holds the white envelope containing the winner’s name. Chaney smiles as she announces Lewellyn the winner of Legacy Legend.

“I really had no idea who was going to win because everyone in the competition was so amazing,” Lewellyn said. “When my name was called I was overwhelmed and completely freaked out. I had no idea how to react.”

The audience members of Legacy Legend vote to decide the winner. Lewellyn competed in the 2010-11 competition but did not place in the top three. Both times Lewellyn competed he had a cold and had trouble hitting high notes and actually considered forfeiting.

“As soon as I got on stage the adrenaline kicked in,” Lewellyn said. “My nose was clear and I felt confident to sing.”

Lewllyn performed an acoustic rendition of Kings by local band Swing the Lead. The song originally had a big band sound with guitar, bass and drums. Lewellyn added his own flare to the song by adding a section that involved the audience.

“I think choosing an upbeat song rather than a ballad really helped me,” Lewellyn said. “I also think that choosing a song that not a lot of other people knew gave me a better chance to show my voice and not be compared to the original singer.”

Carson Rahrig
Carson Rahrig, Personalities Editor
I am a pretty crazy person. I talk way too much and annoy everyone, but I guess my friends don’t mind! I laugh at pretty much anything anyone says or does. I am the person that laughs when I get in trouble (my parents are not really a fan of that). I always have a piece of gum handy, I am seriously addicted. Dancing has taken up every free second of my life since I was three, and I would not have it any other way. [email protected]
$3000
$5000