Cranshaw Receives Acting Scholarship

Cranshaw Receives Acting Scholarship

Weeks have gone by, and now senior Christina Cranshaw has found herself given the opportunity she has dreamed of for years. Cranshaw received a large scholarship for her talent in performing to Santa Fe University of Art in New Mexico. After working with her director Jeremy Ferman for the weeks leading to the 45 second audition, Cranshaw waited in angst to finally receive the privilege of going.

What is the scholarship?
“The scholarship is called The Achievement Award Scholarship, which is the highest scholarship that they offer at Santa Fe. Art students around the world go to Santa Fe University of Art and Design to collaborate and learn. The fact that they saw something in my acting and presented me with this scholarship that means so much to my future, gives me hope for the years to come.”

How did you get the scholarship?
“Early this year, I had the opportunity to go to North Texas Auditions. Prior to the auditions, during the summer, I picked my two 45 second audition pieces that I would perform in front of a wide range of colleges all over the country. When the day came, I went to go perform my 45 second pieces in front of so many people who held my fate in their hands. Thanks to that audition, Santa Fe University of Art and Design graciously awarded me a scholarship.”

What will it help you with in college?
“The scholarship that I earned will help me throughout my college career because it’s annual, which will help pay for a nice portion of my college, without me having to worry about struggling right out of college with debts to pay.”

What does it benefit?
“This scholarship benefits my acting in more ways than one. To keep my scholarship that I have, I must continually work hard which includes keeping my grades up to their highest potential, being a student full time and to complete my Bachelor of Fine Arts training in Theater specializing in acting.”

How do you feel about getting the scholarship?
“I feel very humbled for the scholarship that I got. I knew I had to be persistent and go visit the theater, to know if I would fit in comfortably. So, being a proactive student really worked toward my advantage.”

What is the scholarship for?
“The scholarship that I earned was for my acting capabilities. Once Santa Fe saw me, they had to determine whether I was ready to earn my Bachelor of Arts in acting or Bachelor of Fine Arts in acting. After watching my audition and looking over my résumé, they placed me as a BFA in acting. That ultimately means more hours in the theater and more opportunities for me. The BFA actors get a choice in interning for theatre companies in New York or London, which the scholarship helps cover.”

Are there any downsides to the scholarship? i.e. not being able to transfer or live off campus. Why?
“I couldn’t possibly see any downsides to this scholarship, the fact that it was even offered to me is incredible. I have to live my first two years on campus anyway, only because Santa Fe University feels that you need to be settled in before going off on your own, since most of the students that attend Santa Fe are from around the world.”

Birthday: September 30, 1994.

Number of years acting: “I wasn’t able to really dive myself into theatre until my high school career. In short, I’ve always have been a ham.”

Favorite Playwright: Cranshaw has difficulty choosing her favorite of the playwrights, but recently discovered Israel Horovitz, but was always interested in Edward Albee, Arthur Miller, and Neil Simon. “Horovitz’s plays always make me cry buckets.”

Favorite professional actor/actress: Cranshaw admires Heath Ledger’s later pieces and also enjoys Charles Chaplin, James Cagney, Charlton Heston, Anthony Hopkins, Jack Nicholson, Jim Carrey, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Daniel Day Lewis. As for actresses, Cranshaw idolizes Lucille Ball, Carey Mulligan, Amy Adams, Anne Hathaway, and of course, Meryl Streep.

Dream job: While some people dream of making it “big” on the silver screen or Broadway, Cranshaw strives to have a stable income doing what she loves most, theatre. Whether it be acting on the screen or stage, directing, teaching, or even just taking tickets in the ticket booth, Cranshaw would be more than happy to do it.

Maria Castillo
Maria Castillo, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Dear fellow students who have ventured onto this dusty website known as therider, If you’re at all curious about who I am and what I do, which I know you’re probably not, continue on. This bio doesn’t happen to be my first go around, but it will sadly be my last. I am as surprised as the rest of you to be up here writing from the position of Assistant Editor, but here I am telling my story. I first came across journalism during my sophomore year, was moved up at semester to newspaper, and am continuing on this adventure until the end of my high school days. Yes, the time has been fun, but I must say it was a long and stressful road. Not only have I driven myself to be the best writer I can, but I’m also in many other activities. My time is consumed by swimming, cross country, track, gymnastics and art activities. Anything I do helps change how or why I do another, so it...ok, I’m just wrapping it up, this is all cliché terribleness and we’re done. It’s a wonderful life. [email protected]