Feleena Moniz

Felina Moniz, 12, uses a snorkel to work on breath control drills during swim practice.

A quick punch flew towards senior Feleena Moniz’s face, but she moved out of the way before it could hit. She retaliated, sending the attacker slamming back against the wall. Moniz’s side felt sore from previous hits, making every move painful. She knew she could win the fight and toyed with her partner, faking jabs and always hitting in the least expected place. She decided to finish the fight, taking her opponent to the ground, when she heard her instructor’s voice yelling for her to stop. The first match ended.

Moniz earned her first degree black belt four years ago after training four years at Troy Dorsey’s Karate. To achieve black belt, the instructors required special exercises every week. These exercises included running for 30 minutes three times a week, practicing all her kicks 100 times on each leg every day and participating in group exercises after each 45 minute class.

“I enjoy the fighting,” Moniz said. “It gives me a challenge.”

According to Feleena, karate helps develop important values in its students, including self-control and respect. Students have a strong support system and team within the others of their rank in the karate school. She believes that this makes it easy to meet new people and make long-lasting friendships.

“I enjoy the people there; most of them are really nice,” Moniz said.

Junior Taylore Lawson, Moniz’s boyfriend, competes on the swim team as well as her martial arts team.

“It gives me and Taylore time to cool off and fight without actually fighting,” she said.

Moniz recently joined the JV swim team.

“I like [to swim], and thanks to [my friends], I joined,” Moniz said. “And it keeps me active.”

Moniz’s friends help to keep her motivated by pushing her to her limit and encouraging her.

“It’s great to be able to push her harder then she would usually work, and it’s nice for her to do the same for me,” Taylore Lawson, junior, said.

Moniz’s swimming practices help her karate. The constant exercise from both classes helps to strengthen her, improving her performance in both.

“It’s exhausting at some points, but it makes me stronger,” Moniz said. “My endurance is better because of swimming, which helps karate.”