Baseball Players Prepare for the Opening Season

Cody Taylor, 11, Sheldon Paramore, 11, and Chad Watkins, 11, all warm up before a game.

Every day at 3 p.m., junior Dalton Dunn practices with the Bronco baseball team on the track by running sprints or on the field in their weight training circuit. The team continues to practice in their off season, spending multiple days doing the workouts. Dunn spends those days trying to get better.

“The more you push yourself, the more you find out about how well you adjust to adversity,” Dunn said. “The workouts are going to make sure that we have enough energy and endurance to be able to compete late into games.”

Head Baseball Coach David Walden and Assistant Baseball Coach Brian Tickell lead the workouts everyday to make sure the players know what lifts to do and follow the correct routine. Junior Chad Watkins takes their encouragement seriously during the workout.

“Coach Walden makes us push ourselves for one more rep during a set,”  Watkins said. “He wants to push us so we can reach our full potential.”

During the sixth period baseball class, the team plays blitz, a game where the team splits up into two teams and they have scrimmages against each other. A pitching machine throws and one team hits while the other team plays the field. The team rotates each day.

“I enjoy blitzing because it gives us a chance to see what part of the game we got better at and what part we need to work on,” Watkins said. “The games get very competitive and it always brings out the best competition from everyone.”

These workouts make sure that the players are physically and mentally ready for the upcoming season, which starts in February with a scrimmage against Aledo High School. The Broncos made it to the fourth round of the playoffs last year, losing two games against Frisco Liberty High School.

“Last year definitely boosted our team’s confidence, and it also set a standard that every team is expected to reach,” Watkins said. “We are very excited for the new season to start so we can see what is in store for us.”