Allison Ward

Ward, 10, suffers from Type  1 Diabetes.
Ward, 10, suffers from Type 1 Diabetes.

After entering first period, sophomore Allison Ward gives herself a shot of insulin, the first of her daily seven. On January 18, 2010, doctors diagnosed Ward with Type 1 diabetes. Every day since, she has had to take several precautions, like giving herself shots to keep her blood sugar level stable.

She was only eleven when diagnosed. Ward’s mother called 911 and drove her to the hospital. The doctors told Ward that she lost 11 pounds and her blood sugar was at 940, a level that would put most patients in a coma.

Ward still battles with the disease four years later.

Previously known as juvenile diabetes, is diagnosed in children and young adults. According to diabetes.org, only 5 percent of people with diabetes have this form of the disease.

“At first I really didn’t know, I really was kind of numb physically and mentally. I didn’t understand most of it, never really heard of it,” Ward said. “It was probably when I was coming home from the hospital when it hit me that my life had changed forever.”

There are several symptoms of Type 1 diabetes, such as increased thirst and hunger, frequent urination, weight loss, blurry vision, and feeling very tired. The treatment for Type One Diabetes includes taking insulin regularly.

“I have melt downs every once in a while because I have to dose for my meals” Ward said. “I have times where I just dont want to dose for the meal and I just dont want to do insulin.”

According to diabetes.org, the total estimated cost of diagnosed diabetes in 2012 is $245 billon, including $176 billon in direct medical cost $69 billon in reduced productivity. Without her insurance Ward could be spending $1,000 a month.

“It makes me who I am but it’s a part of me I don’t like,” Ward said. “I ask myself why personally did I get a disease.”