Briana Mendoza

Briana Mendoza, 12, discusses her power point presentation to the members of Key Club.

Rotating the lens to zoom in better on her subject, senior Brianna Mendoza focuses her time into her photo editor position for The Rider Online. Mendoza also works outside of school, not only editing and choosing photos, but going to locations and even students’ houses to take pictures.

“I’ve always been interested in cameras and how they work,” Mendoza said. “I just have a passion for photography.”

Mendoza lived in California before entering high school. No clubs were offered at Mendoza’s middle school, but her school required community service each semester. Mendoza now participates in five different clubs here in Texas: Key Club, Environmental Club, Spanish Club, Spanish Honor Society and a Spanish form of student council called CHE. Every club Mendoza participates in helps her to meet new people, allowing her to make new friends.

“When I first moved here from California my freshman year, I wanted to get into things to get to know people,” Mendoza said. “Being in so many clubs really helped.”

The time and dedication she puts into her five clubs and journalism helped Mendoza get her job at Target. Although her job takes time from her other activities, she puts effort into balancing them all out.

“At first it was fun and I enjoyed working,” Mendoza said. “But now people get stressful and rude when it gets busy.”

Mendoza starting working at Target a year and a half ago and works anywhere between 20 and 30 hours a week as a cashier. She hopes her current work ethic will help her to attend college and get a good job in the future. Mendoza aspires to attend University of Southern California, University of California, Berkeley, or Boston University to study communications and get a degree in journalism or business.

“Participating in so much can really get stressful,” Mendoza said. “[But] in the end, it’s definitely worth it.”