Girls’ Soccer Team Finishes Season in Playoffs

Peyton McGee, 9, kicks the ball across the field in attempt to score against Joshua High School.

The girls’ varsity soccer team concluded their 2013-2014 season with a 1-2 loss to the Joshua High School in the bi-district round of playoffs on March 25.

Key players, like freshman Peyton McGee and Casey McKean, helped the team get to playoffs. After a long 70-minute game, and a brutal 20 minutes in overtime, the team came out unsuccessful.

“[The game] started off very well,” freshman Peyton McGee said, “but turned into a battle in overtime.”

As for gameplay itself, the team focuses on taking points with surprise. Not only does waiting for the right time improve their offense, it helps establish a strong basis for defense.

“I personally think we’re better at counter-attacking,” McGee said.

By leading a record of 9-10 with four ties throughout the season, the team feels like their final loss wasn’t necessarily upsetting.

“Last year we didn’t make playoffs, so this year was amazing,” senior Casey McKean said.

For most of the graduating seniors, this marks the end of soccer, but they will never forget their final playoff game. The relationship between team members is something that

“Everybody works for each other and together,” McKean said. “It’s a great team effort.”