Album Review: Everybody Can’t Go by Benny the Butcher
All About the APs
All About the APs

Too Skinny

Amanda Lanter, 12, waits to play in a volleyball game against Lake Ridge.

Weight is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. I hate my weight, but for different reasons than most others. I have been very skinny and tall for as long as I can remember and I absolutely hate it. I can’t go a single day without someone telling me “You’re way too skinny” or “You need to eat more steak”. I don’t understand why it is unheard of for people to tell someone they’re too fat, but it is normal for people to talk about being too skinny.

Skinny people are stereotyped for being anorexic and unhealthy, but that is not me at all. It drives me crazy when people ask if I eat. What kind of question is that? I love to eat and I eat all the time. I also work out regularly and I played volleyball for six years. Just because I have a fast metabolism doesn’t mean I’m unhealthy or disgusting. I am actually in much better shape than most people and I am pretty strong for a girl.

I’m also very tired of hearing guys talk about how they only want a girl with curves. They say they don’t want a toothpick or just skin and bones. Skinny girls are normal girls with feelings. Don’t people understand that these things hurt girls’ feelings and cause them to lose self-confidence? Every girl is beautiful in her own way no matter what type of body she has. For a very long time, overweight girls fought magazines and clothing companies for making their models too skinny. They thought it created an unfair image of the perfect girl. Now it is the thicker, more curvy girl that people view as perfect. As a result of this, thinner girls are shamed for being too skinny and not having enough curves.

Even though people tell me I’m too skinny and I need to gain weight, I am starting to become more happy with my body. I’m finally beginning to realize that my weight is more of a blessing than a curse, and I need to enjoy eating whatever I want while I can. Since I am so self-conscious about my weight I have learned to never judge someone based on theirs. I have finally started to realize that other girls go through similar struggles and I’m not alone. I may be skinny, but I am proud of who I am and I should never be ashamed of my weight.