Searching for Sequins: Girls Prepare for Prom

Used with permission from www.flickr.com.

The fashion topic on nearly every senior girl’s mind this time of the year: to find a prom dress. Unlike the majority of girls who plan to buy their dress at large dress stores like Whatchamacallit and Terry Costa, seniors Amber Dever and Jade Mactavish have different ideas of where to get their dresses. Dever asked her seamstress grandmother to make her a prom dress out of her already selected light grey chiffon material.

“It’s a relief knowing I didn’t go to Whatchamacallit or Auria and all those other places everyone goes to,” Dever said.

Dever originally wanted a dress in the same style as Taylor Swift’s from the 2013 Grammy’s, but found none like it in stores. She got to work finding a fabric she desired and a pattern that nobody else at prom could replicate.

“I would be very surprised if another girl was wearing my same dress,” Dever said.

Mactavish began her search for a dress in January, visiting multiple stores before landing her prom dress at local dress boutique Sequel. The long, trailed dress she decided on strayed from her desire for a ball gown.

“I originally wanted a ball gown, [but] none of them fit right because [I’m] short,” Mactavish said.

Mactavish feels confident nobody in Texas will have the same dress because of the store’s policy and close bond to the designer. The dress she found costed well over her original budget, so she pays for it in increments on layaway. She believes it suits her perfectly with it’s hi-low skirt and purple color.

“Not only is it my favorite color, but it makes me feel like a princess,” Mactavish said. “It’s worth it.”

Madison Fountain
Madison Fountain, Personalities Editor
Hey, this is Madison! I'm your personalities editor here on The Rider. It's my senior year, but I have been on staff since I was a young sophomore. I enjoy long, romantic walks to the fridge and doing backflips through the school hallway while singing showtunes loudly. Juuuust kidding... sort of. Anyway, I'm also very involved in theatre (I wonder if they'll let me keep this spelling on the website). I'm kind of loud and I get distracted easily sometimes, but I'm ready to work hard this year as an editor and make The Rider the best it has ever been. [email protected]
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• C

ColbiJan 8, 2015 at 8:58 am

I’m not a senior yet, but im so excited for that special moment when I enter that special right of passage for high school girls. This story is so awesome. Can’t wait for prom!