Golf Team Competes at State Championship

Daniel Kay, 12, approaches the green during practice.

Bright white shoes, shiny woods and irons and a red jacket to show school colors accompanied all seven players of the boys’ golf team as they got second in regionals and secured their spots in the state championship.

On April 14 and April 15, boys’ golf took second in regionals. Head Coach Christopher Word believes they have more of a shot at placing in the tournament. With 40-55 degree weather on day one, the team was challenged to focus and block out the weather and play the game like they’ve learned. With the nicer weather of the two days on the second day of the tournament, the boys took the lead and clinched second place with a very close last couple of shots.

“I’m very proud of our boys for coming this far, but it’s not over yet,” Word said.

In regionals, junior Austin Rhodes came in fourth and first team all-region honors in Texas. Collectively, the Broncos secured their spot in state.

“I played well and the others sealed the deal for us to get to state,” Rhodes said.

The Legacy golf team competes at UT on April 28. Junior Russel Schuljak also helped to boost the team to second by shooting a score of 75 on the second day. The team prepares daily for the two days.

“It’d be nice to win, but it would be really cool if we got second,” Schuljak said. “I think we can do that.”

A live feed with scores and standings can be found at The Texas Golf Association. The Broncos fight for first will take place early Monday and Tuesday, so log on, follow and support them.

“There is work to be done,” Word said. “If we continue to prepare and approach this event with our best focus, we can compete for a state title.”

Andrew Roberts
Andrew Roberts, Sports Editor
Hey, I'm Andrew, and I'm the Sports Editor. I play tennis, and I work at Sonic. I'm pretty easy-going, so don't be shy to let me know if something is going on. It's going to be a good year. [email protected]
Austin Escalante
Austin Escalante, Staff Writer
My name is Austin Escalante, I am now a senior at Legacy High school. I am 17 years old. I was born and raised in Arizona, and this is the first time I have ever lived outside Arizona. I went to Verrado High School and was planing on never leaving Arizona unless I got my dream job. I've known all my friends for at least 3 years, some even more. My dad took a job here, and I was forced to move, leaving my girlfriend and other friends, and I had to quit my job. It seemed like nothing could get worse. It was over 1,000-mile drive that took us two days, 12 hours the first day and nine hours the second one. [email protected]