Mental Skills You Need to Have to be a Successful Athlete

Being+athletic+means+more+than+being+physically+fit.+%5BVarsity+basketball+file+photo.%5D+
Being athletic means more than being physically fit. [Varsity basketball file photo.]

Here at Legacy we have different people, talented in their own way and we apply our talents to sports and other clubs. But there is one thing all athletes have in common which helps keep them at the top of their game – a strong mentally ready mind.

According to the Ohio center for sports psychology, having a Mentally ready mind is one of the most important things to have to be a good and efficient athlete.

Here are a few tips for a strong mind:

Having a Great Attitude

• Realize that attitude is a choice. Choose an attitude that is predominantly positive.
  • View the sport as an opportunity to compete against yourself and learn from your successes and failures.
  • Maintain balance and perspective between the sport and the rest of your life. Respect the sport, other participants, coaches, officials and yourself.

“Attitude is very important it allows your team to feel good about the vibe coming off of you and gives you the ability to achieve a common goal,” junior Taaj Bakari.

Motivation

• Make sure you are aware of the rewards and benefits that you expect to experience through their sports participation.
  • You are able to persist through difficult tasks and difficult times, even when these rewards and benefits are not immediate.
  • Realize that many of the benefits come from your participation and not the outcome.

“Motivation is important because it pumps you up and gives you the want to play and practice, which gives repetition and helps get better,” senior Chris Smith.

Commit and Set Goals

• Set long-term and short-term goals that are realistic, measurable, and time-oriented.
  • Be aware of your current performance levels and are able to develop specific, detailed plans for attaining your goals.
  • Be highly committed to your goals and carry out the daily demands of your training programs.

“Goals are important to set because it gives you a reason to keep going and allows you to feel accomplished when you reach it,” senior Kijana Amous.

Have People Skills

• Realize that you are part of a larger system that includes your families, friends, teammates, coaches and others.
  • When appropriate, communicate your thoughts, feelings and needs to these people and listen to them as well.
  • Know effective skills for dealing with conflict, opponents and other people when they are negative or oppositional.

“People skills are important because you can communicate with your team efficiently and be organized in whatever you are doing” junior Taaj Bakari

Concentration

• Know what you must pay attention to during each game or sport situation.
  • Know how to maintain focus and resist distractions, whether they come from the environment or from within themselves.
  • Make sure you are able to regain your focus when concentration is lost during competition. You know how to play in the “here-and-now,” without regard to either past or anticipated future events.

“Concentration is extremely important you must be focused and zone in on what your task is, like blocking that guy or tackling the running back,” junior Taaj Bakari

A mentally ready mind is crucial in becoming a successful athlete. It is one of the most important variables that build a strong willed player in any sport and help brings the most out of all players.

“Asking how important it is to have a mentally ready mind is like asking how important it is for a man to breathe, ” coach Jimmie Green.

Moses Gonzalez
Moses Gonzalez, Staff Writer
Hi, my name is Moses and I am flabbergasted to be joining the newspaper team this year. I am on the drum line and I am one of those people that believe band is life. I have a huge infatuation with the NFL and I can name you almost every offensive player on every team. Obsessed, don’t you think? I have 1 dog, 2 brothers and two sisters, and I live with my mom. I love long walks on the beach and Cici's pizza. [email protected]