How To Prepare for Finals

How To Prepare for Finals

Finals begin on June 2. Even though this test counts for 20 percent of the class’s semester grade, there’s no need to stress. Here are some tips to help:

Get an Early Start
College students cram all night for a test the next day, and they do it all the time. That’s the best way to study, right? Nope. Try to get started a week or so in advance, hence the “study days” that MISD so graciously provides.

Get Some Sleep
This advice probably sounds like you’re preparing to take a fourth grade TAKS test, when your school principal is motivationally yelling at you over a microphone through school-budget speakers in the gym. However, a little extra sleep never hurts how you feel the next day.

Open a Book
World History is fun to read about. Actually it isn’t, and John Green babbling along in a 10 minute sub-humorous video may be better and quicker, but let me tell you from personal experience, you’ll forget the information faster than Mr. Green talks. This applies to anything else. Just pick up one of those really big drink coasters (textbooks) and dive in.

Do the Review
It’s easy to forget lessons from January, and senioritis can kick in pretty strong, even for freshman. If you’ve neglected to pay attention to anything that’s been going on in your class, you can’t go wrong doing the review and learning it there.

Exemptions Are Your Friends
Assuming you aren’t gone from school everyday and have a study habit, you have two free tickets to exempt a final. Sports and other extracurriculars can also count towards easy finals or even exemptions, depending on the class. AP classes give you an exemption if you take the AP test. EOCs also help; you can get two exemptions from your EOC tests.