Volleyball Team Arrives Late to Homecoming

Jasmine Jones, 12, spikes the ball over the net in a volleyball game.

Everyone has their own homecoming traditions, but the Legacy volleyball team spends more time on the volleyball court than cheering in the football stands. Every year the team plays a game on the same night as homecoming.

For the past four years, senior Jasmine Jones has made a late appearance at homecoming because of the volleyball game.

“It kind of stinks having a game on homecoming,” Jones said, “but it doesn’t affect me as much because it’s just like any other game to me.”

Freshman Janell Fitzgerald tried out for the volleyball team and was the only freshman to make the varsity team. She also arrived late to the homecoming game this year.

“I kind of wish I could have been on time to the homecoming game to see the drill team,” Fitzgerald said, “but I still had fun cheering after every point.”

Players go to the homecoming game depending on the outcome of their game. If the team wins, they will most likely go to the homecoming game, but if they lose, many of the players will not want to attend the homecoming game.

“I am very competitive, so I want to win more than anything,” Jones said. “If that doesn’t happen, I will be in a bad mood, so I probably won’t even go to the homecoming game.”

For the volleyball team, the homecoming game provides motivation. They want to show their support for the football team, so having homecoming on the same night as a game makes them work harder and focus on the court. The team defeated Red Oak 3-1 at Red Oak High School on Sept. 5

“Going to the football game and saying we won is the best part.” Jones said. “We get to make our school proud.”

Anna Jordan
Anna Jordan, Staff Writer
Hey I'm Anna Jordan and I am going to keep this short and sweet just like me. I am a senior and have been apart of the Newspaper department for three years.
$3000
$5000